Evolutionists vs Creationists

J.C.

Aug 26, 2009, 5:04:53 AM8/26/09
to Creation vs Evolution
I am a Christian, and I accept that evolution is the most likely
explanation for the physical world / universe that we live in today. I
believe that the problem for creationists arises from their belief
that the Bible is a science text. It wasn't, and it isn't as one.

The Bible is a road-map to show people why they were created and why
they are here, what God expects of them and what they should do in
order to be reunited spiritually with God when they die. I know there
is a lot more to the Bible than that, but that is the basic message.
It is a book meant for imperfect people of limited intelligence (by
which I mean the entire human race because mankind's 'knowledge' is
zero compared to God's), it was written over centuries by different
people living in cultures totally different to ours, and it has been
translated so many times that it is impossible for it to be word-
perfect, which is what most (all?) creationists claim.

The bible sets out how we should live: it is a social and spiritual
guide, a guide to the Light for a world that was left in darkness.

'Let there be light': that is the single point where creationists and
evolutionists agree with each other: that there was a single point of
origin. Like all Christians (and Jews and Muslims) I believe that the
light was created by God, it was the Big Bang that was the start of
our creation and it took place billions of years ago.

Any informed study of the universe shows it's incredible scale and
complexity and most of all shows that there are rules (laws) for the
physical universe (speed of light, effects of gravity etc).

I cannot believe that anyone can seriously postulate that this
incredibly beautiful and complex place is an accident, with no purpose
other than its own existence, and that the universe continues to exist
and to expand without a guiding hand. For me the theory of evolution
shows how the hand of God still works, how an expanding and changing
universe is a challenge to all of us to explore it and thus have an
even greater insight into the power and the love of God who has given
us something so wonderful.

Creationists at times remind me of those people referred to in the
Bible who concentrated on reading the Law but missed the point of the
Law. If you read the Bible not as a science book but as the unique and
definitive guide book for a happier, more fulfilling and more complete
life that will bring you back to God through the sacrifice of Jesus
Christ on the cross, then you are on the right road.

Science should not be at odds with religion and vice versa: in an
imperfect world there will be times when one may seem to contradict
the other (Galileo and his discovery that the earth orbits the sun is
the most obvious example), but at the end of the day those who search
honestly for answers on both sides will find the truth. And the great
majority of scientists, of all creeds and colours searching for the
truth, accept the principles of evolution.
Message has been deleted