New Create UI concept

Henri Bergius

Mar 12, 2012, 7:09:22 AM3/12/12
to crea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here is a slideshow displaying a new UI concept for Create:
https://plus.google.com/photos/113896057721233278902/albums/5717131156654359985/5717131206194261362

Comments welcome. I think this has some potential for merging the
different UI styles we've seen from Liip's Create implementation and
the default one.

--
Henri Bergius
Motorcycle Adventures and Free Software

Jabber: henri....@gmail.com
Microblogs: @bergie

Rupert Westenthaler

Mar 12, 2012, 8:17:41 AM3/12/12
to crea...@googlegroups.com

On 12.03.2012, at 12:09, Henri Bergius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a slideshow displaying a new UI concept for Create:
> https://plus.google.com/photos/113896057721233278902/albums/5717131156654359985/5717131206194261362
>
> Comments welcome. I think this has some potential for merging the
> different UI styles we've seen from Liip's Create implementation and
> the default one.

I really like it.

I am only unsure about the "Save" "Cancel": I think the "save" button should be green. I would rather expect an "revert" button to be red. What is the "Cancel" button supposed to do? Cancel the Save action makes no sense, because this is the reason for the save drop down that ask the user to confirm.

best
Rupert

Riku Virta

Mar 12, 2012, 9:29:56 AM3/12/12
to crea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Cancel and save buttons are only shown when the user is editing something in "edit mode".
Clicking the "Cancel" button stops "edit mode" and restores the status back to normal without saving any of the made changes. This makes perfect sense from the UX perspective when you actually try it.
Save button drop down is for extra functions that can be bound with save action. When saving is confirmed the edit status is returned back to normal and there wont be cancel or save button until user starts editing again.

Color scheme can be always tweaked and I agree that "Save" could be green also. Color red usually represents something being recorded or saved, hence the color red in the presentation.

Best regards,
Riku

David Buchmann

Mar 19, 2012, 8:13:28 AM3/19/12
to crea...@googlegroups.com

Riku Virta

Mar 20, 2012, 11:16:01 AM3/20/12
to CreateJS
Hi,

I'm currently building a sketch (no functionalities in this one yet)
It is very much work in progress and it might explode in your hands.
http://demo.nemein.net/create/

Few things that are coming but are not yet there:
- Edit area highlighting
- Responsive design (automatic UI scaling for mobile devices and
smaller screens)
- Some editor examples

Br,
Riku

On Mar 19, 2:13 pm, David Buchmann <david.buchm...@liip.ch> wrote:

> hi bergie,
>
> really like the design!
> at least to me seems like this we could stop having the fixed toolbar
> next to the edited area. i will ping those liipers for feedback who
> where in favor of having it fixed directly at the text area.
>
> cheers,david
>
> Am 12.03.2012 12:09, schrieb Henri Bergius:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Here is a slideshow displaying a new UI concept for Create:
> >https://plus.google.com/photos/113896057721233278902/albums/571713115...
>
> > Comments welcome. I think this has some potential for merging the
> > different UI styles we've seen from Liip's Create implementation and
> > the default one.
>
> - --
> Liip AG // Agile Web Development // T +41 26 422 25 11
> CH-1700 Fribourg // PGP 0xA581808B //www.liip.ch
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

Henri Bergius

Mar 20, 2012, 11:55:48 AM3/20/12
to crea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Riku Virta <riku....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently building a sketch (no functionalities in this one yet)
> It is very much work in progress and it might explode in your hands.
> http://demo.nemein.net/create/

Great work!

Everybody, please comment on this ASAP. If things look good, I'll
start integrating it to the live Create on Monday.

BTW, since I don't think this has been sent here yet, here is some
info on Liip's Create implementation in Symfony CMF:
http://blog.liip.ch/archive/2012/03/20/cmf-editor-overview-screencasts-and-live-demo.html

> Riku

/Henri