What is the best way to create an event that runs every second?

Oren Shvalb

Dec 22, 2015, 2:40:55 PM12/22/15
to CreateJS Discussion
Hi,

On my stage I have a text object that describes a timer. I would like to update it each second and decrease 1 second.

What is the best way to do it?

I can do it as follow:
1. Add Text object to Stage
2. declare a Ticker event as follow:

    createjs.Ticker.setFPS(1);
    createjs
.Ticker.addEventListener("tick", handleTick);

3. in the callback method, get the Text object from Stage and update its value and call stage.Update();

There must be a better way, right?

Thanks.

James Tyner

Dec 22, 2015, 2:43:14 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
For something like this it is better to use java scripts native setinterval() method.

Oren Shvalb

Dec 22, 2015, 2:46:12 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
Can you tell me why? isn't there some kind of internal EaselJS's mechanism?

James Tyner

Dec 22, 2015, 2:48:08 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
Not that I know of. SetInterval() was designed for things like that... Why are you opposed to using it?

Oren Shvalb

Dec 22, 2015, 2:49:18 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
I have nothing against setInterval(), on the contrary, I will probably use it.

Just wanted to know more about EaselJS...

Thanks :-)

Oren Shvalb

Dec 22, 2015, 2:52:37 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
by the way, when I use SetInterval and I change the Text object, then I need to call the stage.update();

Right?

There is no way to render single object, you need to render the entire stage, is that correct?

James Tyner

Dec 22, 2015, 2:58:22 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
OK good. Yeah you will want to call stage.update() as far as I know that is the only way.

Oren Shvalb

Dec 22, 2015, 3:07:22 PM12/22/15
to createjs-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you !