Issues after rebuilding with MOD error

38 views
Skip to first unread message

Clarkerz

unread,
Jul 3, 2020, 11:14:52 AM7/3/20
to mmbtools
Hi all,

I've been away from SSDAB for a while but my setup has been going strong now for a number of years. I've deciced to get rid of my old noisy Dell 860 to a smaller solid state PC to run the mux and mod. Both old and new PC have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed and are up to date.

I originally installed bother the latest verisons of ODR-Dabmux and ODR-DabMux and whilst they both compiled OK with the Mux working OK, I couldn't get the Mod to function with the hackRF and was getting the error: ERROR Failed to connect ZeroMQ socket to 'tcp://127.0.0.1:9100/': 'Invalid argument'

I've tested the hackRF and can send a tone to a given frequency OK using hack hackrf_transfer with no issues.

This is the full output:
ODR-DabMod version 1.1.0, compiled at Jul  3 2020, 14:45:04
Compiled with features: zeromq SSE
Input
  Type: zeromq
  Source: tcp://127.0.0.1:9100/
Output
  Name: /tmp/odm.fifo
  Sampling rate: 6.144 MHz
      Starting up version 1.1.0
      RC: Waiting for connection on port 2121
call hackrf_set_sample_rate(6144000 Hz/6.144 MHz)
call hackrf_baseband_filter_bandwidth_set(1750000 Hz/1.750 MHz)
Input ZeroMQ:
  Receiving from tcp://127.0.0.1:9100/

      Setting up timestamp decoder with 0 offset
ERROR Failed to connect ZeroMQ socket to 'tcp://127.0.0.1:9100/': 'Invalid argument'
      ZeroMQ input worker terminated
call hackrf_set_freq(206352000 Hz/206.352 MHz)
call hackrf_set_amp_enable(1)
Stop with Ctrl-C
 0.3 MiB / 1.000 sec =  0.3 MiB/second
 0.0 MiB / 1.000 sec =  0.0 MiB/second

Couldn't transfer any bytes for one second.

Exiting... hackrf_is_streaming() result: HACKRF_TRUE (1)

I then started again and instaleld the same version I have running on the Dell - ODR-Dabmux v1.3.3 and ODR-Dabmod v 1.1.0 and I'm still getting the same error.

I've installed all of the dependencies that I am aware of so wondered if this error points to soemthing obvious. I have been on this all day so am still using the Dell for now.

This is my mod.ini file:
[remotecontrol]
telnet=1
telnetport=2121

[input]
transport=zeromq
#source=tcp://192.168.3.5:9100/
source=tcp://127.0.0.1:9100/
max_frames_queued=200
# source=tcp://mpb.li:9100/
loop=0

[modulator]
gainmode=2
digital_gain=2.4
#rate=6144000
rate=6144000

[firfilter]
enabled=1
filtertapsfile=/usr/share/odr-dabmod/filtertaps.txt

[output]
output=file
[fileoutput]
format=s8
filename=/tmp/odm.fifo

and my script to execute ODR-Dabmod:
#!/bin/sh

#Basic HackRF DAB Modulator (2013)
killall -9 odr-dabmod
killall -9 hackrf_transfer
rm /tmp/odm.fifo
mkfifo /tmp/odm.fifo
while true
do
odr-dabmod -C  mod.ini | mbuffer -m 12M -P 25 -q | hackrf_transfer -t /tmp/odm.fifo -f 206352000 -a 1 -x 47 -s 6144000 -b 1750000

echo $! > /var/run/mod.pid
sleep 1
done
wait


If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Andy

Matthias Brändli

unread,
Jul 6, 2020, 3:36:43 AM7/6/20
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On 03/07/2020 17:14, Clarkerz wrote:
> ERROR Failed to connect ZeroMQ socket to 'tcp://127.0.0.1:9100/':
> 'Invalid argument'

Remove the trailing slash. That is, use 'tcp://127.0.0.1:9100'

Also, please consider using EDI instead of ZMQ between ODR-DabMux and
ODR-DabMod, and also between encoder and ODR-DabMux.

Cheers
mpb
Message has been deleted

Clarkerz

unread,
Jul 7, 2020, 8:41:08 AM7/7/20
to mmbtools
Thanks Matthias and good to speak again :)

That got me further on but I am now ondering if this little machine ACEPC T11: (Atom x5-Z8350 Processor) isn't fast enough now as it just won't get past:

FIRFilter: Reading 45 taps...
 0.3 MiB / 1.000 sec =  0.3 MiB/second
 0.0 MiB / 1.000 sec =  0.0 MiB/second

Couldn't transfer any bytes for one second.

Exiting... hackrf_is_streaming() result: HACKRF_TRUE (1)
Total time: 2.00044 s
hackrf_stop_tx() done
hackrf_close() done
hackrf_exit() done
fclose(fd) done
exit

I've done a complete install on another old laptop with U16.04 LTS which I've installed this on before and I did have to increase the max_frames_queued to 400 but it worked, so I am thinking this little PC isn't any good for this.  :(

Thanks

Andy

Clarkerz

unread,
Jul 10, 2020, 5:59:34 AM7/10/20
to mmbtools
Yep, was the processor. Installed all the latest versions as a service on an i5 and all is working well with monit as well keeping the services running:


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages