DAB SPI Tools - Update

Nick Piggott

Jul 29, 2020, 8:18:39 AM7/29/20
to mmbtools
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who's been using the tools to generate DAB SPI and transmit station logos over DAB. It's helped find and fix bugs.

Please make sure you're using the very latest version of the packages, copies of which are now hosted at https://github.com/opendigitalradio - they're being updated every day.

Ulrik has been doing some great work on a guide to using the tools, which I expect he'll post details about shortly.

Of course, if you find bugs, please let me know by opening an issue at https://github.com/nickpiggott/odr-radioepg-bridge/issues

If you're finding that your SPI files are very big (which will take a long time to transmit), you can try a branch I've created which compresses the station logo files before transmission. It's reduced my SPI payload by about 50%. https://github.com/nickpiggott/odr-radioepg-bridge/tree/optimised-image-sizes

Nick

Nick Piggott

Jul 30, 2020, 6:38:07 AM7/30/20
to mmbtools
Hello,

The best place to raise issues or bugs with the SPI tools is directly on the ODR Github repo - https://github.com/Opendigitalradio/odr-radioepg-bridge/issues

Nick

--
Nick

Ulrik Brinck

Aug 3, 2020, 8:13:33 PM8/3/20
to mmbtools
Hi everyone,
Thanks also to Nick for help fixing bugs in these tools, and to him and Ben Poor for writing them in the first place.

The name of this tool chain is odr-radioepg-bridge (in this context, EPG is the same thing as what is now officially called SPI - Service and Programme Information).

What this tool chain can do is to read your SPI (EPG) from the internet using RadioDNS and create a complete DAB SPI (DAB EPG) from it, containing service information, programme information and station logos.

First, you must have a working SPI for hybrid radio via RadioDNS. When you have that, you can use these tools to automatically convert it into a DAB SPI.

I have written a step-by-step guide to how to install and use it. Nick has also contributed to the guide. The guide is written for Debian Jessie, which is the distro that we're using on our transmitter site here, but (hopefully) installation should be more or less the same in other generations of Debian. The guide can be found here:

Best regards,
Ulrik.