RaspDAB - a micro DAB transmitter based on Raspberry Pi and EasyDAB v2

Gerard Lokhoff

Mar 31, 2017, 6:12:33 PM3/31/17
to mmbtools
I guess about a month ago I managed to get the OpenDigitalRadio software functioning on a Raspberry Pi with the EasyDAB v2 board. As I had to figure out quite some details while doing it, I thought it might be useful to document the steps I needed to take. I have created a github project at https://github.com/glokhoff/RaspDAB . It is not complete yet, I want to add more information that isn't that obvious for us who are not that familiar with all things DAB. But the main flow is ready, and might help others who want to experiment with this or a similar set up. The bulk of the information is in the 'Wiki' part of the project. As I didn't need the modulator, I made a new version of the installation script without the modulator programs. All can run in 8 MB SD Ram on a Raspberry 3 model B easily.

I had the set up operational with 6 audio/PAP encoders and a multiplexer at less than 40% processor power for more than 3 weeks without any problem with the multiplexer. The audio encoders sometimes crashed due to lost connections with the audio stream sources, but could be restarted through supervisorctl commands easily.

I do have some questions about some of the details, so any help to get clarity on these is welcome through the github mechanisms.

Just hope this helps to make OpenDigitalRadio more popular ;o)

Matthias Brändli

Apr 2, 2017, 1:38:10 PM4/2/17
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerhard,

that's a cool setup and a very good description!

Would you agree to put this information on the ODR wiki? If you don't
have an account I can open registration for you.

mpb

Gerard Lokhoff

Apr 2, 2017, 2:16:29 PM4/2/17
to mmbtools, matthias...@mpb.li
Hi Matthias !

Thanks ;o) !

It is still work in progress, and I like to add e.g. information about which country code to set, the program types etc. I'm also still learning myself, building a DAB transmitter for our local DAB experiment. So adding it to the ODR wiki is a bit too early. But for now you can add a pointer to the github project, so people can find it. Once it seems more or less complete we can determine how to best use it in ODR setting.

I do have problems adding images to the github files - could use some help with that ;O)

Best regards,

Gerard

Matthias Brändli

Apr 2, 2017, 3:02:55 PM4/2/17
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

if we only would write content to the wiki once completed, then the wiki
would probably be empty :-)

It's up to you, but feel welcome to add things to the ODR wiki, that's
what it's there for!

mpb
> > an email to crc-mmbtools...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:crc-mmbtools...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Gerard Lokhoff

Apr 2, 2017, 4:53:42 PM4/2/17
to mmbtools, matthias...@mpb.li
OK, please provide me details how to get started... ;o)

Gerard

Matthias Brändli

Apr 22, 2017, 7:45:45 PM4/22/17
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 2 April 2017 22:53:42 CEST, Gerard Lokhoff wrote:
> OK, please provide me details how to get started... ;o)

Hi,

I've opened user account creation. Please create yourself an user and tell
me, I will put you in the list of users who may edit. This is because of
spam issues in the past.

mpb

Gerard Lokhoff

Apr 23, 2017, 4:16:21 PM4/23/17
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias ! I have created the account glokhoff . Thanks for providing access - will try to get acquainted with the wiki etiquette ;o)

Best regards,

Gerard

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

Matthias Brändli

Apr 23, 2017, 11:05:54 PM4/23/17
to crc-mm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerard,

you should have the right to modify pages now.

My intention is to improve the user account creation process, adding a
mandatory email confirmation step to avoid spam accounts. I'll try this out
soon, but for now you should be fine.

Thanks a lot for contributing to the wiki!

mpb

On Sunday, 23 April 2017 22:16:20 CEST, Gerard Lokhoff wrote:
> Hi Matthias ! I have created the account glokhoff . Thanks for providing
> access - will try to get acquainted with the wiki etiquette ;o)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gerard

> Virusvrij.
>
> On 23 April 2017 at 01:45, 'Matthias Brändli' via mmbtools <
> crc-mm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Carmine Abbate

Mar 13, 2022, 1:15:11 PM3/13/22
to mmbtools
Dear all.

I try to test DAB+ on EasyDab2 hardware.
In order to realize the flux needed for modulator I intend to use Raspberry or Ubuntu based pc.
Have you an iso that I can install on sd card of Raspberry.

Unfortunately I'm not expert of linux, and for this I have some beginning problems.
Thank at all