Dump file invalid format??

Bharat Mallapur

Dec 19, 2012, 8:02:21 AM12/19/12
to cras...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am using the CrashRpt tool to report any application crashes. I got a crash report today from a user, and when I tried to debug the .dmp file, I received the following error from VS2010: "This dump file has an invalid format".
I have saved the entire source code, pdbs etc just for the debugging purposes. the application is built using VS2010.

Any pointers on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance,
Bharat

zexspectrum

Dec 19, 2012, 10:23:14 AM12/19/12
to cras...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

This means that your minidump file is invalid and cannot be read by VS. I see two possible reasons:

1. Your dmp file can be empty (has zero file size). I don't know what may be the reason, but sometimes I receive mindumps that are empty and VS complains about them.

2. Your dmp file can be corrupted for some reason.

Bharat Mallapur

Dec 19, 2012, 10:58:09 AM12/19/12
to cras...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was using CrashRpt_v.1.3.0_r1291 on visual studio 2003 till very recently. Now I have ported the entire code base of my application to Visual Studio 2010.

Could this be causing some issues in the stack dump generated? Anyway, I have now updated my sources to use CrashRpt_v.1.4.0_r1439 and I hope that this will fix the issue of "Stack Dump has an invalid format".

I will report back on this once I test this on the remote machine where the crash dump was invalid.

Thanks,
Bharat

zexspectrum

Dec 19, 2012, 11:08:14 AM12/19/12
to cras...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I don't think that upgrading to VS2010 introduces minidump issues. Upgrading to CrashRpt v.1.4.0 is recommended, because this version has many bugs fixed.