3D printing media

Frederick Cobb

Apr 30, 2024, 11:18:43 PMApr 30
to crash...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I have someone wiling to print some parts for me. The question I have for the group is what is a quality material that will work for LP and MP Rockets. I know little about printing and have a few pieces from a long-term project made a few years ago from a real payload engineer out of California. What those parts taught me is I don’t want to sand a lot. I’ve seen plenty of videos on exposure to Acetone to smooth the surface, but that is too experimental to me. Ideas on all of this is most welcome.

Kindly,

Fred

Ben Maitland

May 1, 2024, 1:20:16 AMMay 1
to crash...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fred,

I do a lot of printing for my rockets. The main material I use is PETG. It doesn't do details very well, but it's got relatively good temperature resistance (80°C) and toughness. PLA is good for details, but it's got relatively low temperature resistance (around 40°C) so it shouldn't be anywhere near the motor or ejection charge, or even left in your car when it's in the sun. For that reason, I don't use it very much unless I have some decorative detail. For higher performance, I want to try printing in CF-PC, which is incredibly stiff. I'll get around to it some day. Long story short, PETG is probably your best bet.

Ben

fredman67

May 7, 2024, 2:42:00 PMMay 7
to crash...@googlegroups.com, fred...@q.com, fred...@q.com
Hi Ben,

What about "PLA"?  Not knowing a thing about this stuff, I think SOME of my previous parts may have been printed in PLA?

Thanks,

Fred

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone

David Frey

May 7, 2024, 8:43:38 PMMay 7
to crash-talk - Colorado Association of Space Hobbyists
Hey Fred,

I'll chime in here with Ben and say, that if given a choice, PETG is the way to go.  It prints as easy as PLA and the temp tolerances are much higher.
Last year, I printed a nosecone in PLA+ and it warped from the heat of the epoxy kicking off when I added some nose weight.  My experience is that PETG more durable and will bend a little more than PLA.  I made the switch from PLA+ to PETG and never looked back.  Something else to consider is that your rocket may sit on the pad on a busy launch day, and I can confirm that it will start to get gooey after just a few minutes in direct sunlight.

Best regards,

Dave

fredman67

May 10, 2024, 7:57:44 PMMay 10
to crash...@googlegroups.com, fred...@q.com
Thanks Dave. Aby more advice from you all is very welcome.