This Week at CRASH Space, February 22nd Edition

Crash Space

Feb 23, 2011, 12:49:23 AM2/23/11
to crash...@googlegroups.com, crash-space-...@googlegroups.com

The return of the monthly annual weekly email the only way this will ever get written!

This week in CRASH space... LIVE! From the Meeting!

The last weeks recap:

Newest toe hold on the web… Thingiverse

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6447

For those of you who don't know:

"Thingiverse is a place for you to share your digital designs with the world. We believe that just as computing shifted away from the mainframe into the personal computer that you use today, digital fabrication will share the same path. Infact, it is already happening: laser cutters, cnc machines, 3D printers, and even automated paper cutters are all getting cheaper by the day. These machines are useful for a huge variety of things, but you need to supply them with a digital design in order to get anything useful out of them. We're hoping that together we can create a community of people who create and share designs freely, so that all can benefit from them. "

Radio Monday Zigbee was awesome and it is recorded on Ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12860029

The MakerBot Make-In (LA MakerBot Monthly Meetup) was humming with MakerBots and RepRaps, and the class was sold out!  Go Theron! He's ordered the Stepstruder Mk VI. We are so pimped out. He is also giving a talk at the Unix Users Association March 3rd in Culver City taking place at Media Temple.

THIS WEEK:

TOMORROW:

A Journey Into Touch Designer  8 pm - 11 pm

"You will learn the basics, workflow and methods of TouchDesigner programming environment and paradigm through a few simple examples. From there you’ll start to see the innumerable possibilities and get a glimpse under the covers. We will really start to see how it is changing our approach to large installation based projects, performance based art pieces and other realtime digital media. Getting a feel for this environment will no doubt inspire more questions and ideas which will dictate where we more deeply explore. Expect a great collaborative learning environment as dynamic as Touch itself."

No RSVP, Free to members, 10 dollar suggested donation for non-members.

Thursday 7:30 pm  Intro to Max/MSP

a continuation

Friday (recurring) 10 pm -12 pm Friday HAX Friday

from Geoff: to discuss cool photography (and video) technologies, mods, hacks, and ideas.  The first bit of the meet is going to be freeflow talk and

projectorization of cool photo/video stuff. Then were going work on a

build- like cheapo remote trigger, LED shoe lights, light boards, and

firmware mods. Tonight we will discuss all of the above and figure out what the first

build is going to be. Super low key just to get the ball rolling.

No RSVP, Free to members, 10 dollar suggested donation for non-members.

Saturday 1:30 pm  Intro to Max/MSP

a continuation

Saturday 5:00 pm  Pico Paso Kit Build

Kits JUST arrived!! but if they don't we've got Bit Blob Jr's. We can't pre-price b/c of the kits but come with 64 for a bit blob (nonmembers) or 30 for Pico Paso.

Saturday 8:00 pm Hand Made Music

http://blog.crashspace.org/2011/01/handmade-music-la-2/

"It’s going to be on Saturday, February 26, 2011, after the last session of our Max/MSP workshop, and we’re going to be trying something new out as well… From 5pm-7pm, we’ll be having a kit build featuring the PicoPaso from BleepLabs. At 8pm, the (in)formal festivities will begin with some mingling and refreshments, followed by performances."

Saturday & Sunday OFF SITE, LAX: SCALE

Southern California Linux Expo: http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/

So far we think we are table 81&82

We'll have stuff. It'll Fun!

If you'd like to volunteer to staff (PLEASE) we've got badges, b/c you need a stinking badge!

Contact Justin: outla...@gmail.com

Off site: DorkBot Socal is happening on Sunday http://www.dorkbot.org/dorkbotsocal/

Monday 8 pm Radio Monday

Radios in cars in motor cycles is on the block…

Tuesday 8 pm Another Member Meeting...

UPCOMING

Thursday March 3rd Off Site: Theron - Unix Users Association March 3rd in Culver City taking place at Media Temple.

Saturday March 5th: CRASH course on Arduino, BYO

http://store.crashspacela.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=22

Wednesday March 9th Off Site: Carlyn will be giving a talk on CRASH space and Physical Computing http://www.ieee-bv-cs.org/

Advanced Arduino will be coming up Mid March with none other than Tod Kurt

Should be going into the store by the end of the week! Its a four session class

March 16th, 23rd 7:30pm - 10pm

March 20th, 27th 1:30-4

Any want to add their 2 cents…? be at the meeting!

Best,

-- Everyone Here