Another shiny thing -- Q.bo

Mel Chua

May 3, 2012, 1:39:39 PM5/3/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
http://thecorpora.com/

"Q.bo is a standard platform for developments in Robotics and Artificial
Intelligence. Q.bo can run on any operating system, as well as the
OpenQ.bo distribution which includes the robotic platform ROS, by Willow
Garage. Use our five Q.board controller boards compatible with Arduino
or build your own."

Just mentioning some shiny toys here, though we may not want to get
things like that unless we have a first specific project to do with them...

--Mel

Matt Jadud

May 3, 2012, 7:31:59 PM5/3/12
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mel Chua <m...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> Just mentioning some shiny toys here, though we may not want to get things
> like that unless we have a first specific project to do with them...

I forgot about Q.bo. Very cute.

Getting 10... yes, we want a project. If we need one to play with and
experiment... definitely could be done.

Jan has some AIBOs and a bunch of other platforms already, which is
very cool. Definitely, mentioning cool toys is a Good Thing. They
provide food-for-thought and occasional-inspiration.

In the category of fun bits:

https://www.sifteo.com/
http://littlebits.cc/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/posts
http://www.open-pandora.org/
http://www.buglabs.net/
http://belogic.com/uzebox/index.asp

to mention a few. Of course, the BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi
(especially!) top the list for raw hackability at an excellent
price/power ratio.

Bath time...

Cheers,

Matt Jadud

May 3, 2012, 8:28:33 PM5/3/12
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Matt Jadud <ma...@jadud.com> wrote:
> In the category of fun bits:

Other bits... (and, Olin-related, interestingly...)

http://hackaday.com/2011/07/28/3d-printed-singularity-drive-platform/
http://www.nonolithlabs.com/

Interesting open hardware...
http://gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project

Tutorials surrounding digital bits (CC licensed... I'm starting to
think we'll need an inventory of such resources so we can minimize our
own work...)
http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/tutorials/

Stuff by Bre Pettis... barely counts, because HE IS OPEN HARDWARE 3D PRINTING:
http://www.grandideastudio.com/portfolio/awesome-electronics-workshop/

A TUBE FLIP-FLOP CIRCUIT. What will they think of next? Er... what did
they think of back then?
http://www.electronicpeasant.com/circuits/circuits.html

Hm. I had some other links to throw in here, but they left my brain...

I may just spam the list a bit with toys...

Cheers,

Sebastian Dziallas

May 3, 2012, 11:04:04 PM5/3/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
Or I might. :) This is barely related, but we just got Olin's new summer
reading book. I thought it looked cool:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Toaster-Project-Electric-Appliance/dp/1568989970/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336100463&sr=8-1

--s