SIGCSE Special Projects Draft

Matt Jadud

May 14, 2012, 7:45:43 PM5/14/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

OK, so graduation and working on the house have distracted me a fair bit.

https://github.com/jadudm/craftoe-sigcse-special-projects

I have a draft up. It is 10 words too long. (Limit 1000 words.) It
might be 200 words too long.

If you have time, hack away. You can either:

1. Check out, edit, commit... or,
2. Just edit in-browser.

The latter is probably easier. Mel, Sebastian, and Jan: you have edit privs.

I'll be poking at it more this evening, and welcome any edits you
make. It may be that it is 1) too verbose and 2) doesn't say enough.
However, that's what a first draft gets you sometimes.

I will open up Skype in a bit and be accessible that way.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Jadud

May 14, 2012, 7:47:55 PM5/14/12
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Matt Jadud <ma...@jadud.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OK, so graduation and working on the house have distracted me a fair bit.
>
> https://github.com/jadudm/craftoe-sigcse-special-projects

And...

I didn't read this document first. Specifically, the PDF at the bottom.

http://sigcse.org/programs/special

All the words are there, but they might need to be moved around to
better fit the numbered list at the end. I can throw in the
appropriate references to support some of the text.

Just talkin' to myself... in writing...

Cheers,

Jan

May 14, 2012, 8:51:36 PM5/14/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
A nice start, I think.

I fixed a couple of spelling and grammar problems.

I think we should have some references.  If Matt could work on that, it would be great.

Some questions:
  1. Should all affiliations be at the top, which would make the cross affiliation nature very clear immediately.
  2. Matt's affiliation. Should he be listed at Berea given that he does not really start until August?
  3. me.  Should I be listed?  I don't really care, but maybe....
I will open Skype too.

Jan

Jan

May 14, 2012, 9:03:48 PM5/14/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
After several reads, I think we are strong on inspiration, maybe ever overly so. We do not want to sound evangelical... One question a possibly skeptical reviewer might have is, "is this really needed or is this just a duplication of other work."  I think we should try to address that somehow.  Jan

Sebastian Dziallas

May 14, 2012, 9:06:20 PM5/14/12
On 5/14/2012 8:51 PM, Jan wrote:
> A nice start, I think.
>
> I fixed a couple of spelling and grammar problems.
>
> I think we should have some references. If Matt could work on that, it
> would be great.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Should all affiliations be at the top, which would make the cross
> affiliation nature very clear immediately.
> 2. Matt's affiliation. Should he be listed at Berea given that he does
> not really start until August?
> 3. me. Should I be listed? I don't really care, but maybe....
>
> I will open Skype too.
>
> Jan

I'm happy to jump on Skype as well, I might have some time in 10-15
mins. I'll try to give it a ready in a few.

-s

Sebastian Dziallas

May 14, 2012, 10:58:05 PM5/14/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com, Mel Chua
Mel, could you take a read at this? The latest version should be up
here:
https://github.com/jadudm/craftoe-sigcse-special-projects/blob/master/proposal.txt

Length-wise, it's pretty much there, but it could probably use some text
in terms of evaluation of our work. Since you've taken qualitative
research methods most recently, is there something that would work well
here in your opinion?

--Sebastian

Mel Chua

May 15, 2012, 7:54:50 AM5/15/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/jadudm/craftoe-sigcse-special-projects

966 words, done. See:

https://github.com/jadudm/craftoe-sigcse-special-projects/commit/544a1abb1eb307bb8c1240e4e15dc2be3541536b#second-proposal.txt

for some text massaging emphasizing "we're open all the way through"
(which is sort of unique), and

https://github.com/jadudm/craftoe-sigcse-special-projects/commit/a8d582b1b05b860361831fcabd2f9e02b494a5e6#second-proposal.txt

for a little evaluation-ish text about how we want student learning
outcomes, but also community-building outcomes (since that's going to
support student learning by giving them a much richer apprenticeship
environment to play in -- I didn't say that specifically, though).

Morning tinkerings before I head to class. Accept/reject/ship at will.

--Mel

Matt Jadud

May 15, 2012, 8:48:16 AM5/15/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mel,

I like the edits. Great.

I added us to the top of the grant with institutional affiliations,
and also added Danny Barnes, as he will be a full-time collaborator
this summer.

I called Danny and Sebastian out as undergraduate collaborators,
because SIGCSE likes that kind of thing. Flaunt it if ya' got it, or
something.

Added a bit that we have small bits of funding from other sources, so
that it is clear we're asking for a reasonable/small piece of the
puzzle here. Also makes clear that neither I nor Jan are requesting
any funding support (nor, for that matter, Mel, but this probably
isn't the best grant for that.)

I'm going to head in to the office to do an NSF support letter, and
will do a full read/edit then. We're over 1000 words, but it's
actually pretty concise... and that's 1000+ words with references and
headings, so I think we're OK.

Cheers,