Design process/thinking/background research

Matt Jadud

Apr 3, 2012, 8:37:22 AM4/3/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
Inspired by the recent discussions...

Understanding (designing?) Electronics II (and having some discussions
with other members of the Tech faculty) would be an excellent step in
the design of Electronics I. I think we can "broad-strokes" design E2,
and can definitely have some discussions with the Tech faculty about
their thoughts, reflections, and needs for E1. I might see if I can
start driving that in the near future.

Although... that could also be a really good thing for Danny... given
that he's "on the ground" at Berea... :D

Lets come back to that. Although I'm hijacking a thread:

1. Danny, would you be willing/able to download:

http://designthinkingforeducators.com/DTtoolkit_v1_062711.pdf

and give that a read? This is a good introduction to the "design
process," which is something that is fairly deeply "baked in" at Olin.
Both Mel and Sebastian come from an educational background where this
kind of process-oriented thinking w.r.t. creativity and creation is
"understood." That PDF should serve as a reasonably concise intro to
the design context we're working in.

2. From there, we might think about what kinds of questions would be
good to discuss with the Tech faculty. What do they see as the needs
from their individual perspectives? For example, I know Jason will
have different ideas than Gary, and so on.

I don't know what your work schedule is like at this point, Danny...
at this point (before the term ends), you should not (in my opinion)
engage in anything that 1) overloads your schedule or 2) slows you
down on work that is important to you successfully completing the
semester. That is rule #1: finish this semester strong. We have plenty
of time to play with this stuff later.

Before any conversations happen, though, it would be useful to know
what questions we're going to pursue/ask/look for illumination on.

Cheers,
Matt