Shared bibliography/article space?

Matt Jadud

May 1, 2012, 8:39:48 AM5/1/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Should we set up a Google Drive folder or similar for sharing articles
and findings? We can't, honestly, post all things to the list. For
example, I found a paper this morning while going through the news
reader:

http://ideas.time.com/2012/04/25/why-floundering-is-good/?iid=op-main-lede

The paper itself is published in the Taylor and Francis Journal of the
Learning Sciences.

Really, once we clear the semester, we can get a bit more
infrastructure up, perhaps, but in the meantime, I'd say we should

1) share a drive for PDF-type content, and
2) post articles to the list with the word BIBLIO or similar in the
subject (so we can find them later)

Mel may have more to say about this---she had a post she was going to
write, but then suggested I write it instead. And, sadly, my
mind-reading powers only work on Thursdays...

:D

Cheers,
Matt

Mel Chua

May 1, 2012, 8:49:52 AM5/1/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com, Matt Jadud
> Should we set up a Google Drive folder or similar for sharing articles
> and findings?

I'd vote for a shared Zotero (or Mendeley, or something) bibliography,
and then -- yeah, whatever infrastructure we need to pass pdfs around to
folks who need to do the academic-writing thing. Does anyone have a
preference? I use Zotero, could do Mendeley, refuse to use Endnote.

> http://ideas.time.com/2012/04/25/why-floundering-is-good/?iid=op-main-lede

I have only given the (full) article in question a breakfast-reading
skim, but it reminded me of two things:

1. Jeffrey Karpicke's work on Retrieval-Based Learning
(http://learninglab.psych.purdue.edu/downloads/inpress_Karpicke_CDPS.pdf) --
he came to talk with our department, and 80% of that paper is tangential
to craftoe so don't read the whole thing unless you're bored and
desperately looking for something to do while waiting for the semester
to end (ha!), but the part that stuck with me was that *trying* to
recall, and *FAILING* to recall, a concept/idea/whatever, is the *best*
thing you can do to make it likely you'll remember that thing while
performing in the future, because of some weird way it wires your brain
up that I don't understand yet. The bad analogy I made was it's like
weight-training to muscle failure; there's something about that last
"oof I can't lift the weight" that really rips you for the next time.

2. The cognitive apprenticeship teaching methods (modelling, coaching,
scaffolding... and then a bunch of things that aren't quite as settled
-- fading vs articulation/reflection/exploration? I gotta read Collins
again).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_apprenticeship#Teaching_methods.
I've recently discovered that this (1) sounds obvious to folks in
academia who like teaching hands-on things / are used to learning in a
hands-on environment ("...well duh, how else would you teach a class?")
BUT is (2) insanely helpful for hackers trying to wrap their heads
around what they need to do to support new learners (as opposed to the
"oh yeah, we'll just dump all the students in the deep end of the
ocean!" mindset that we've, um, encountered in the past). It's a useful
framework they can immediately apply to their coaching interactions with
students.

(I didn't expect this, and discovered the effect by complaining to some
open source buddies about the paper I was writing -- then learning,
later, that my short "I don't want to write THIS any more!" rant, with a
minimal explanation of what "THIS!" cognitive apprenticeship thing was,
had changed the way their large open source projects were going to run
their entire summer internship programs. Definitely a double-take moment.)

--Mel

Matt Jadud

May 1, 2012, 8:57:53 AM5/1/12
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 08:49, Mel Chua <m...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> I'd vote for a shared Zotero (or Mendeley, or something) bibliography, and
> then -- yeah, whatever infrastructure we need to pass pdfs around to folks

Frankly, a plain-text file in BibTeX would be fine with me, but I'm
weird that way. Zotero works. Endnote was never an option.

> 1. Jeffrey Karpicke's work on Retrieval-Based Learning

> 2. The cognitive apprenticeship teaching methods (modelling, coaching,

To be revisited by me later... I won't have serious reading bandwidth
until after the 8th of May.

Cheers,

Jan

May 2, 2012, 7:24:08 AM5/2/12
to craftofel...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for having fallen behind in my reading...

> 1) share a drive for PDF-type content, and
Yes, this is a very good idea.

> ) post articles to the list with the word BIBLIO or similar in the subject (so we can find them later)
sure.  good idea.

> Frankly, a plain-text file in BibTeX would be fine with me
 Yes, this would be my preference as well as long as others are okay with it.

Jan