The new Highway Code

1 view

Crabbo

Mar 5, 2022, 7:00:06 AM3/5/22
to cr...@googlegroups.com
Copied from Cycling UK for your information:

What are the new Highway Code rules?

Some of the key changes in the new Highway Code include:

The introduction of the 'Hierarchy of Users' or ‘Hierarchy of Responsibility’, recognising that road users who pose greater risks to others ought to have a higher level of responsibility. Simplification of the rules relating to junctions where there aren’t any traffic signals, to make junctions safer and address ‘left-hook’ collision. New rules to tackle dangerous overtaking and ‘close passes’, with a guideline  minimum safe passing distance of 1.5m. Clearer guidance on looking before opening your car door, including the ’Dutch Reach’ technique, to help prevent ‘car-dooring’

Cycling UK's role in campaigning for change:

These are just some of around 50 Highway Code changes. We asked supporters to back our proposals for 10 key changes, all of which have been accepted, although the changes to overtaking rule 163 and group riding rule 66 aren’t exactly as we suggested.

If you're not already a member of Cycling UK, I urge you to join - they're the ones who do all the hard work promoting the cause of cycling in the corridors of power.

At the very least you could register free for their < monthly e-newsletter >

!ON!ON!
--
Crabbo