Joy Ellison Update: Heading back to Palestine!

Joy Ellison

Feb 21, 2009, 2:53:42 PM2/21/09
to cpt...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends and family:

It's hard to believe it, but in just one week I will be on a plane going back to At-Tuwani, Palestine!  My life is filled to the brim with olive trees, sheep and wonderful neighbors and it's been ages since I've written to you.  Before another year slips by, I want to take a moment to update you on my work here in Palestine and let you know how you can be involved.  I hope you find it as inspiring as I do.

As you probably know, over the last year and a half I have been living in a small rural Palestinian village in the West Bank called At-Tuwani.  Despite living under daily threat of violence from the Israeli army and extremist Israeli settlers, the people of At-Tuwani are seeking justice through nonviolence. Through demonstrations, lawsuits, education, and a determination to work their land no matter what, the village has taken meaningful steps towards reclaiming their land and livelihood.  As international human rights workers, my colleagues and I use video cameras to document human rights violations, join Palestinians as they work in their fields, help children get to school, and physically stand in the way of violence.  It's a pleasure to witness how the efforts of the people of Tuwani are transforming their lives.  Here are some of the successes and sets backs of the past year:

Working with thoughtful people who daily show me what nonviolence looks like brings me profound hope.  I'm also excited about new opportunities in my own life.  In addition to continuing my work in At-Tuwani, some exciting new advocacy opportunities have come my way and I hope to be able to share more about them shortly.  (Yes, that's a tease to keep you interested!)

It's difficult to express the importance of this work, the joy it gives me, or how grateful I am for the support of people like you.  Your donations , prayers, letters, and good wishes make my work possible.  If you'd like to support my work financially, thank you!  Checks can be marked "For Joy Ellison" and made out to "West Hills Friends" at P.O. Box 19173 Portland, OR 97219.

Thank you for all of the ways that you have supported me and my work.  People like you give me hope for a better future.

In peace,

Joy Ellison

PS: For updates on my work, join my email list by sending me an email at jub...@gmail.com or read my blog: http://inpalestine.blogspot.com