Folder Naming

Dean Ter Haar

Jan 15, 2021, 2:55:30 PM1/15/21
to cpputest
I'm working on a Win10 platform using MinGW to run CppUTest.  I'm refactoring a working CppUTest instance into several components or submodules each in their own folder.

The quick question is, "will I have a problem building a CppUTest project if I use folder names like ".common" or ".board" (i.e. names that start with a '.' character)?  It seems that if I stay underneath these folders I can build the refactored test project but if they become part of a source file path, I run into trouble.  Just curious if folder names that start with a '.' are to be avoided.

I'm using folder names that start with a '.' to highlight and indicate branches of my project that are actually git submodules

Dean Ter Haar

Jan 15, 2021, 5:05:01 PM1/15/21
to cpputest
Apparently the makefile can't handle folders like .common (it doesn't have a problem with .board)  I'm guessing it sees the .c of /.common and gets confused:

make: *** No rule to make target `test-obj/1/2/3/../../../.oommon/dev/code/device/cb.o', needed by `test-lib/libsam4.a'.  Stop.

If there's an easy workaround, I'd be interested; otherwise I can rename .common to -common or something like that.  Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
-dean

Keith Hill

Jan 27, 2021, 3:24:32 PM1/27/21
to cpputest
Isn't make merely pointing out an error in naming your folder?
test-obj/1/2/3/../../../.oommon/dev/code/device/cb.o
                         ^
                         folder undefined, perhaps you meant .common?