Thanksgiving Day at Peterson Butte

Michael Gregson

Nov 25, 2021, 8:17:40 PM11/25/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club
When I finally arrived, at about 11:45, conditions at the top of the road LZ were quite light (S 4–6 mph).  Was able to raise Jason on the radio who was hiking up and reported 9-12 mph at mid launch.  I decided it was worth it and started to load my gear for the hike.  Took a last minute check to be sure I had what I needed/wanted.  Decided to check the wind one last time before setting out because it felt a bit stronger now.  Indeed, it was 12 gusting 19 at the LZ.  I radioed for a wind read further up.  Mid and top launches both reported the same readings, 12-19.

I changed my mind, and told Jason and Jens that I now planned to set up in the LZ and kite my wing for a bit before attempting to push off from there and bench up.  While I started to unpack all I’d just packed and reset my mind for the new scenario, I noticed Jens hiking back down from mid.  (Note to self:  wind at mid strong and/or gusty enough to send Jens back down the hill on foot).  That was all the signage I needed to make me slow down my pace and take continuing wind readings.

Good I did.  By the time Jens got down to the LZ, it was 15 in the lulls with gusts up to 22.  That’s a bit strong for me to kite my large Calypso.  After all, my P2 still has that new car smell.  And if I did get off in a lull, I could easily end up without the necessary penetration.  Nope.  Don’t need that.  Jens made the same decision.  Jason soon showed up in the LZ.  He, too, had hiked back down.  The three of us decided it was blown out for the part of the day that we had available to us.  Next time.

Pat (RC glider pilot) had a ball while a huge bald eagle eased up into wingman position just aft and starboard of his RC glider, and proceeded to fly formation with it through 360s and aerobatics for a good ten minutes or more.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!!

     – Michael G

Todd Fahrner

Nov 26, 2021, 3:36:05 PM11/26/21
to gregs...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
I’m a newish P2 who hasn’t yet been to Peterson. Looks like it might work tomorrow? Watching here to see if others agree. I’d be much obliged for an orientation sooner or later.

— todd

sky...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2021, 12:16:00 AM11/27/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Hey Todd,
I don't know if anyone flew today. I was eating turkey. A lot of people are probably going to fly on Sunday.  Are you on the Telegram app? It is highly useful to see where people are going. Probably a lot of people would be happy to give you an intro if you're going to the same place. I would.
John Saltveit

Bob Horning

Nov 27, 2021, 12:25:36 AM11/27/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
BTW, on Sunday both Petersons and Chehalem looks good, least for hangs. Late afternoons PG looks good.

Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

sky...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2021, 12:30:32 AM11/27/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Bingen looks good on Sunday too.

Norris, Joshua

Nov 27, 2021, 4:06:10 PM11/27/21
to todd.f...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
Several people are talking about going tomorrow, I’m waiting on the forecast as things are still changing. I’m happy to show you around Todd. However, I can’t be there until around noon. There will probably be others there before hand as well. It looks like it might be strong, let’s keep an eye on it.

Just left PB. It was doable earlier today. It’s now getting wet and way too gusty. Shout out to Jason Groshong For making and installing those rad wind socks! You might recall Jason made the tardis for Oceanside years ago. After losing the windmill at the top last season, it’s been hard to know what the wind on the summits been doing. You can now see the Windsock from Sandridge Road. It and the LZ windsock are complete with a sick swivel etc. thanks Jason for hiking those 20 foot plus poles up to and installing on the summit!

On Nov 26, 2021, at 12:36 PM, Todd Fahrner <todd.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]