Silver Star Monday Flight Report: a mellow day in the air.

mcoppock

Jul 6, 2021, 8:55:49 AM7/6/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club

The regional forecast discussion suggested that a nose of high pressure from an upper level ridge over the four corners region would strengthen and expand northward Monday, perhaps decreasing the risk of potentially higher winds on Silver Star than predicted by stunting the marine push.

Driving in on L1100 road at noon, thermals were kicking up dust off the road.  Beyond Tarbell, a back lit column of insects spun, outlining a 30’ wide thermal/dusty rising out of a clear cut.  Cycled up from 1900’ LZ, with occasional thermals continuing.  From upper parking meadow, steady gentle adiabatic flow intermixed with 0.5-1 m/s (guess) thermals.  Along the ridge road, steady thermals from 1 pm onward, especially over bailout.  Bear grass tall on N launch (pic on Telegram) made for a “mountain launch” set up.  I launched around 3 pm in to beautiful mellow thermals along the ridge.

Flight plan was to turn right off of launch, and focus on ensuring adequate altitude to keep the 1900’ LZ in range, given my time constraints for getting back to town by 5 pm.  I flew in the smoothest air, and thermals I have ever been in on Silver Star.  0’s to 1 m/s , with nice lift along ridge.  Not pressed for time,  I think the ridge had adequate lift, and would have been soarable for some time, and would likely have improved.  In any case, there was lift over the usual house thermals, and in the Kloochman Butte area.  I flew N of the L1100 road, and was circling back to 1900’ LZ when an eagle flew in from the SW at my altitude of around 2800’.  I followed, and in an anemic thermal stayed below the master, and watched it hit the inversion at 4 k, and head east in to tiger country on glide…

Even the inversion base usual rodeo was absent.  Thermals that would usually smash up against the thermal floor and spread wildly in all directions were mellow, and gentle, relative wind fluctuations on my face were minor…not the usual zero to hero gusting.  No span management worries at all.

I landed on the crest of the LZ, where the stumps were visible, and to allow for potential thermal levitations on final, and for stump visibility absent the ferns…given the LZ was thermally active.

Model correlation:  the RASP underestimated TOL, which was around 4100’, Meteo blue was way to optimistic on TOL 1700 meters.  RASP convergence, and shear seemed relatively right on.  The NOAA point forecast winds were completely off while I was there:  meteo wind was calm on launch, and thermals were gentle and abundant.  NAM, and Meteo Blue skew T’s all were pretty close on Inversion height.  I had neither the luck nor the skill to find a thermal that went through the inversion, nor, it seems could the eagle.

Conclusions:

1.You won’t know if you don’t go adage is correct.

2.The flight was an epiphany, in that it is clear Silver Star can be flown in very light conditions, and low inversion heights.

3.Wind predictions are predictions, in this case the AIR wind predictions were correct:  I saw 10-15 km/hr from NW in flight.  NOAA point forecast for ground level, and RASP for ground level were incorrect:  it was calm.

4.High pressure rocket thermals were not present, which was a big surprise on a high pressure day,  instead I had the most mellow conditions I have seen on Silver Star.

5.The lightest days are the best teachers.

6.I can’t wait to fly more days like this, and launch later, to sample the aerology.  I am sure Silver Star will have more surprises in store.

Cheers,

https://ayvri.com/scene/gdkzp9gl5z/ckqs0hmsz00013b6fbc87ujwg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10