Yaquina Head Traffic Study

Cascade Paragliding Club

Aug 25, 2021, 3:46:19 PM8/25/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Hello Everyone,

Bill Briskey notified me of a traffic study survey that is open for Yaquina Head. He also included the following information and is hoping some pilots will fill out the survey. Please see his comments and the email for the survey below

-Etch

"The Yaquina Head folks have seen such an increase in visitors that they are looking at ways to deal with the increased traffic load.  Recently there has been a 10 minute wait just to get into the park on weekdays.  At some point they may restrict access and not allow us to park near the gate to the launches - Paras can hike in, but that isn't so easy for Hangs.  They are asking folks to fill out a survey and I think it will be helpful for more of our Para/Hang club members to include their voice in order to be considered in any resulting changes.

Regarding the survey, the most important impact would be to comment that parking near the gate along the roadside at the launch access is helpful because it minimizes the challenge of bringing in equipment we need for flying, and it is not very safe to hike in from outside the park since there is not much of a shoulder to stay clear of vehicle traffic.  As for questions pertaining to conditions at the park, it appears to me that everything is in reasonably good shape, parking is limited simply because of limited space."

The Formal Email with survey information:

"Greetings!

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), in coordination with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), has initiated a study to evaluate the transportation system at the Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area (ONA). The Yaquina Head Traffic Study will identify and address transportation needs including operations at the entrance station, overall site circulation, bicycle and pedestrian accommodations and safety enhancements, parking management, pavement preservation, and congestion mitigation. The study will be a collaborative process with FHWA, BLM, Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), the City of Newport, stakeholders, and the public to identify needs and potential solutions. A map of the study area is attached.

An initial public outreach effort is being conducted to explain the study process and gather information from the public and stakeholders to identify issues and concerns relating to the site. A brief video and study newsletter have been posted to the Friends of Yaquina Lighthouses website (https://www.yaquinalights.org/yaquina-head-traffic-study) explaining the study process. A public opinion survey, in both English and Spanish, can also be found on the website. The survey is an opportunity to share your concerns and ideas regarding transportation at Yaquina Head and will help the study team identify areas of focus. Please respond to the survey by September 10, 2021.

PUBLIC OUTREACH #1 – YAQUINA HEAD TRAFFIC STUDY

Website: https://www.yaquinalights.org/yaquina-head-traffic-study

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YaquinaHead [ENGLIGH]

https://es.surveymonkey.com/r/YHONA_Espanol [SPANISH]

Please respond to the survey by September 10, 2021

Public comment is an important part of the study process. The study team will consider all comments to better understand potential issues, concerns, opportunities, and constraints. Comments can be submitted at any time to the study contacts. All comments will be considered but may not result in proposed site changes.

Carrie Warren, PE

FHWA Project Manager

610 East Fifth Street

Vancouver, WA 98661

(360) 619-7658

carrie...@dot.gov

Matt Betenson

Yaquina Head Site Manager – BLM

750 NW Lighthouse Drive

Newport, OR 97365

(541) 574-3142

blm_or_no_yh...@blm.gov

Sarah Nicolai, PE, PTP

Consultant Project Manager

3147 Saddle Drive

Helena, MT 59601

(406) 447-5038

snic...@rpa-hln.com

Please share this message with others as appropriate. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sarah W. Nicolai, PE, PTP

Robert Peccia & Associates | 3147 Saddle Drive | Helena, MT 59601

406.447.5000 | 406.447.5038 (direct)| 406.439.1772 (cell) | snic...@rpa-hln.com | http://www.rpa-hln.com"