Silver Star Friday: Flying Crosswind...

mcoppock

Jul 9, 2022, 12:02:12 PM7/9/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club

Silver Star July 8 2022:  Flying crosswind into new Xcontest site record.

What was planned to be a birthday celebration, to enjoy a stellar flower display, to hike with family, and possibly fly an FAI triangle or flat triangle self-imposed task; morphed in to a challenging and rewarding flight for this intermediate pilot on an EN B wing.

Flight Plan:

Silver Star is a site notorious for being difficult to go XC from:  very talented pilots on top end wings have struggled to reach 20 km straight line flights.  The flight plan was to fly a small FAI triangle task; practice eating and drinking, and talking on the radio (given upcoming XC Clinic)   then land and go to dinner 😊

FlySkyHy Task:

Launched at 3:20 from 4100’ launch.  The house thermal near N launch took me to ~4500’, which was surprising, given predicted TOL of around 4K or less.  Sensing that the day might promise to be better than expected, I flew over to Sturgeon Rock, sink was intermittent and strong in the arc between launch, main summit, and Sturgeon, so I pushed N.  Meteo wind was absent on launch, but 100’ up 12-16 km WNW flow was encountered, which is often the case.  The second house thermal saved the day, and took me to 5250’, the high point of the day.  First TP was Kloochman Butte, and ½ to ¾ bar was needed to push into the typical NW flow.  The sky was active, with multiple cloud bases at 4500’, 5000’ and higher.  Turbulence was strong (I was reassured by my Lake Berryessa SIV the week prior.)  N of Tarbell a large section of 4-5 m/s was agonizingly long on full bar, and I assumed, I would be landing on logging spurs and walking out, as I struggled at ~200 AGL.   A low save took me past Tarbell TP, drifting east, and it took a while to find an exit from the low circling.  The next TP was at “4 corners”, but too N for me to reach, and I managed to work up the N parking ridge in the lee, finally crossing over the upper meadow at low  (~40 m) but “landable” AGL heights.  Air was understandably funky that low to terrain, with significant horizontal thermal wind vectors, and turbulence.  Gaining altitude off the second house thermal allowed a quick trip S to overfly the 4100’  launch, then heading N , and pushing full bar into WNW flow, the day allowed another overflight of Tarbell.  Massive sink was once again experienced N of Kloochman Butte.   NW of Tarbell, the low TOL, and weird turbulence, convinced me to head west toward the ridge west of Dole Valley.  Pushing NW toward Yacolt seemed selfish, given I was already extending my flight at the expense of family (not to mention paucity of landing sites!)  It seemed lift over the west side of Dole Valley was 0.5-1 m/s, but it was time to find a landing spot amongst the trees.  With bubbles, and sink informing my approach, dodging tall Douglas firs, it was nice to finally feel the gravel of a logging spur road under my feet.

3.9m/s max climb, 4.2 m/s sink (tho instantaneous readouts of 5 m/s) , max altitude 5253’.   Average speed 17.9 km/hr.  Flight time 1:36.  New Xcontest site record.

My sense of the conditions, is that a more talented,  a more “bump tolerant”,  and experienced pilot on a higher end wing could have flown farther N, possibly to Yacolt area.

https://ayvri.com/scene/gdkzp9gl5z/cl5e1lvis0001356rvqyfmigy

Weather model correlation:

The synoptic picture was of relatively benign weather, with a weaker marine push, allowing dryer air aloft to temper the morning stratus duration and depth.  TOL was predicted to be around 4K, with light west up to 9 kts.  At top of boundary layer, winds were predicted to be 12-14 kts.  Humidity was medium, and insolation was around 8 hours.

Skysight showed possible OD NW of Tarbell, and 0.75 m/s convergence, predicted for time of flight, which may explain the strange wall of persistent turbulence I ran in to NW heading toward the Moulton Falls area.  Multiple stepped disparate cloud bases, which I have not seen on Silver Star previously allowed an unusual gift:  being able to “fly the sky” on Silver Star is a rare treat.  Predicted cloudbase was less than 4K on Windgram, and Skysight, but Meteoblue predicted the unstable lapse rate, CB, and predicted lift relatively well.  Once again Silver Star had its strong ridge sink, relatively dependable house thermals, and very strong sink on the Tarbell Ridge N of Kloochman butte.  And, as often seems the case, no meteo wind on launch, but 100’ higher, wind as predicted.

Experience:

A day to remember:   “Fly the day not the Desire” (Nick Greece?).

A day of stunning flowers, snow clad 4 volcano views, believing in one’s abilities, gritting one’s teeth, and “carrying on” as best as one can!

Cheers,

Michael

Sent from Mail for Windows

Michael Coppock

Jul 11, 2022, 1:33:27 PM7/11/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Well, that's kinda strange...I've not seen Reavis approving one of my flight before, but here it is...  :)

Reavis approval of Silver Star flight.png