Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Cascade Paragliding Club

ongelezen,
1 mei 2023, 01:36:4301-05-2023
aan Cascade Paragliding Club

2023 April CPC Meeting Notes

April 4, 2023

Summary

Safety

Following an event that occurred in March at Peterson Butte, the pilots present discussed the main lessons learned and opportunities for improvement following that specific situation, including:

  • Importance of carefully reading the site guide and following a thorough site intro whenever flying in a site for the first time.

  • Importance for new P2 pilots to set a safe flight plan, matching their skill-level and remain clear of major obstacles especially during the landing.

  • Importance of resolving any issues resulting from our activities in private land and following up with the landowners for the continuation of the good partnerships which are established.

Repeated reports of disturbance from paragliding pilots at the Oregon Coast

The club officers and a number of pilots in the community have been contacted by members of the community (non-pilots) in Oceanside and Newport with regards to paragliding activities including trespassing, such as unauthorized use of backyards for kiting and touch & go, causing annoyance to pets with close fly-by, unauthorized landing and launches on/from rooftops, and more. The pilots involved have also been sharing some of these activities in their social media, adding to the frustration of the landowners and the community in those locations.

Understanding how delicate the use of our flying sites is, which heavily depends on the harmony with the landowners, community in the vicinity of launch and landing zones, and authorities, the club recognizes the activities of these pilots as inappropriate and harmful to our community as a whole, putting in jeopardy the peaceful practice of our sport in sites as important as the ones in Oceanside and Newport. We have been warned by local authorities that failing to resolve this situation within our community may result in a complete shut-down of the paragliding rights at the Oregon Coast.

As we continue the efforts in de-escalating the issues with the authorities and community members who have been continuously reporting incidents, we urge these pilots (who have been clearly identified) to reconsider their practices and adopt a more respectful behavior in respect to our sport and to fellow pilots.

Upcoming meeting

The next club meeting is scheduled for May 2, 2023 at 7:30pm. Stay tuned to our Telegram group for more information, including the link for connection, closer to the date.
                                Contact CPC                                    http://cascadeparaglidingclub.org

                  Membership Links: Join - Renew              Newsletter Opt-In Link: Get Monthly Info

Membership in the US Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association (USHPA) is required to have access to club flying sites and events (ex: Oceanside Open).  This national organization provides pilots with critical insurance, a structured pilot training regimen, and representation to the FAA for free flight activities in the U.S.  You are encouraged to follow this link to the USHPA site and sign up to get access to relevant information and receive notifications: https://www.ushpa.org/

Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen
0 nieuwe berichten