Peterson Butte flight report

Norris, Joshua

Nov 8, 2021, 8:07:08 PM11/8/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club

Here’s a quick white report from Friday. I arrived around 11 AM. After discussing the site with Kayla and Etch, We began hiking. Things were still pretty southeast for quite a while. Somewhere around noon I decide to launch after some cycles inspired. Once airborne, it was apparent there were in fact thermals good enough to go up. It not always easy to stay up as things would cycle on and off. It could be tricky but quite fun! Other pilots that joined in on the action were the illustrious Mike Steed and Jay Z followed by Austin. Several top landings at mid made multiple flights possible. After landing on my third flight down to the cars, I decided Kite. It felt strong enough to try and soar the bench, so I did. I was slowly, ever so slowly able to work my way back up to mid and even for the over the summit. After top landing one more time at mid, I had to leave to head to Astoria. As I was leaving, Kavi was headed to launch. It was a fun few hours!

Kaviyaan Khalil

Nov 8, 2021, 9:23:01 PM11/8/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club
I've had a bad case of the ground shakes lately.  PG-Withdrawal.  It'd been two weeks since I've had an opportunity to fly at all, and about a month since I've had the Artik out (its been off getting retrimmed).

I arrived a bit late, as Etch, Kayla and Austin were all landing.  I ran into Josh and Jay in the parking lot.  The stoke level was high on the ground and the eagles were clearly still making it work, so I started up the hill.

Conditions were great - perhaps slowly backing off.  I think either Josh or Jay described the hill as "breathing", which seemed right on the money.  I had a leisurely half hour flight, watched some eagles dive bomb one another, and landed near the cars.

Kayla, Austin and I spent another hour or so kiting and occasionally soaring the bench during the stronger moments.

Wishing I could have made it out earlier and flown together with everyone, but at least for now my ground shakes have stopped.
PXL_20211105_214611663.jpg