Fwd: [OHGA] Kurt's flight and recovery...

Mark Sanzone

Dec 27, 2020, 6:34:38 PM12/27/20
to Cascade Paragliding Club

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kurt Luft <kurt...@gmail.com>
Date: December 27, 2020 at 2:16:09 PM MST
To: Oregon Hang Gliding <ohga...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [OHGA] Kurt's flight and recovery...

To everyone including HG and PG pilot's.
I did launch about 20 minutes after Ric.  I saw him working the back bowl,  but I have never been back there so I hung around Oceanside for an hour or more working my way up to 2350' above MSL.  I had seen Ric go over to Happy Camp and I thought that he was about to land so I headed directly towards Happy Camp coming up to an hour and a half flight thinking of landing in the Westerly conditions.
My judgment let me down once again as I got caught up in the rotor coming off the bluffs that knocked me down into the trees.   I knew that I needed to flare before I hit the tree, hoping to snag a tree branch.  And I did just that!  But I was unable to unhook, let alone I'm stuck hanging with my glider in a tree hoping someone had seen this to call for help.  I wasn't able to get to my phone,  and my radio was left back at launch due to not being in sync with others.
Bottom line is that I am unable to overcome my disabilities due to my Traumatic Brain Injury so I am NO longer going to risk my life or hurt anyone by trying to prove that I'm a good pilot.
I will retire from flying Hang Gliders and after the glider has been fixed I will sell it. The rescue team needed to cut my side wire from the control bar to extract me before lowering me down to the ground.
I'm back here now checking my glider and it's still hung up on some branches about a 100 feet up.  Anyone know of some tree climbers or other things for me to get help with would be terrific.   I tried calling Seward, but his phone is out of service.   Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and reflections as you know this is very difficult for me to come to terms with...
Safe flying,
kurt