VOX to Yaesu FT-60 Radio - Anyone done this?

Matt Yodis

Jul 30, 2022, 8:31:58 PM7/30/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
I can find a VOX system YAESU SSM-63A ($70) for the radio.

YAESU SSM-63A.jpg
I have a full face Insider helmet.
Before I buy the VOX, I wondered if anyone has already successfully installed one in their helmet and if so, any tips tricks or suggestions or warnings, would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Michael Cook

Jul 31, 2022, 11:03:06 AM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
VOX tends to be pretty unpopular due to "open mic" problems. Most seem to prefer a PTT setup.

Matthew Yodis

Jul 31, 2022, 1:06:55 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Bob, Michael, firstly thanks to you both for the info. The main reason I wanted to setup a VOX system is for a SIV in Oct. I haven't found out yet what form they use; VOX or PTT, but thought VOX would be the best way to communicate during maneuvers. I am sure they have it all figured out I just have not gone over it with them yet and personally, I've used VOX but that was with a Kenwood $$$$ radio with built in VOX, now I have a Yaesu $ that does'nt have built in VOX. Michael, I understand that can be an issue which wasn't too much when I was using VOX, not that many ppl using radios then I guess(?) but I do prefer PTT - it's a definite on/off stop/start more good control.  Bob I have the outside helmet velcro attached type PTT kit with speakers...I think that will be probably be my realistic option. I had it all set, only thing is the non-staying-velcro outside button, I will check on that switch you mentioned.Cheers!
IMG_2423.png

Mike Steed

Jul 31, 2022, 1:15:16 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club, mdy...@gmail.com
At a maneuvers clinic, there is a very real chance your expensive radio will go into the lake.  Most clinics use the cheapest radios possible (think GMRS/FRS),  taped on or near your helmet, volume turned way up.

Mike

Jul 31, 2022, 1:21:06 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Michael for $120 the Yaesu FT-60 then fits the bill. A backup radio is a good idea.

Matt

Matthew Yodis

Jul 31, 2022, 1:22:37 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
I mean, Mike.

Michael Cook

Jul 31, 2022, 2:05:39 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Another SIV consideration is you DON'T want your VOX to trigger while you're screaming as things go sideways and your instructor is blocked out while trying to tell you to throw the reserve. I'm guessing SIV instructors won't allow VOX. But I am usually wrong.

Matt Yodis

Jul 31, 2022, 2:20:17 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club

Seems that is a great observation and probably the most survival viewpoint to take - good one!

Matt

jeffrey wishnie

Jul 31, 2022, 4:00:32 PM7/31/22
to Michael Cook, Cascade Paragliding Club
Agree. VOX is banned at all competitions because wind noise (and the occasional pilot swearing in turbulence ;-) activates it constantly killing radio comms.

Definitely avoid

There are tons of PTT options ranging from simple speaker-mic (my preference) to mic in helmet with Bluetooth buttons on the outside of the helmey

Bradan...@discoverparagliding.com

Jul 31, 2022, 4:07:28 PM7/31/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com

When we were doing SIV training, the last thing I would have wanted was a student busily transmitting that he needed to know what to do... (Yes, that screaming part! ;-) ) It's those times that I wanted a free channel to be able to get to the students ears. We would almost always try to have two radios near the helmet, to make it through not only the wind noise, but the noise generated by all that screaming! Just kidding on the screaming part, but a lot of people when under duress can generate a lot of mental noise that takes first place in front of hearing anything. Loud radios and clear frequencies were a requirement for us.

Brad
...Loved doing SIV training. Hated maintaining the boat!!! :-( May try it again someday. :-)

--
See you up there,

Brad and Maren
Your 'Couple' of Instructors
www.DiscoverParagliding.com
503-440-0733 (c)

jeffrey wishnie

Jul 31, 2022, 4:24:30 PM7/31/22
to bradan...@discoverparagliding.com, cpc
Btw, after soaking a radio at SIV many years ago, I invested in a water proof (to a certain depth) Yaesu and have not regretted it. Thing is bomber and has laster me 20+ years.

I also have a couple disposable Baofengs, but mostly give those to retrieve drivers or pilots who forgot their radios.

The Yaesu has never let me down.

jeffrey wishnie

Jul 31, 2022, 4:25:22 PM7/31/22
to bradan...@discoverparagliding.com, cpc
Forgot to mention --that water resistant radio has gone swimming several time ;-)

Matthew Yodis

Jul 31, 2022, 7:44:53 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
Brad, thanks, getting a second radio. Jeffrey, I did not know the FT-60 was water resistant..another good reason to get another one for SIV. Thanks.

jeffrey wishnie

Jul 31, 2022, 8:18:44 PM7/31/22
to mdy...@gmail.com, Cascade Paragliding Club
Oh, I don't know if that model is.

This is the one I got 20+ years ago--tjey must have an updated replacement model:

A Yaesu speaker mic tied to a shoulder strap and with a wind break is a great, simple, PTT-- esp. if your speaker-mic port on your radio is a screw in, which prevents the cable from pulling out and locking on transmit (which is an issue for PTTs):

Matthew Yodis

Jul 31, 2022, 9:39:00 PM7/31/22
to Cascade Paragliding Club
XCheckd and the FT-60 is water resistant. I have the compact handheld mic as another option as well. The configuration I'm going to use is the pic without the headband and that cover would be great, thanks Jeffery.