Dealing with Fe2+ in cp2k

Lukas Krieger

Sep 14, 2022, 9:19:58 AM9/14/22
to cp2k
Dear all, I am a master student in physics and completely new to cp2k. I would like to perform an electronic structure calculation of heme in a quintuplet state (S=2). I then get the error "LSD: try to use a different multiplicity" and I assume that it is due to the fact that cp2k treats the Fe2+-ion in the centre of the heme group as a uncharged Fe-atom. Does someone know how to adjust the charge for the iron-ion and in worst case also the (partial) charges of the C, H, N and O-atoms inside the molecule so that cp2k takes the correct number of electrons?

Thanks in advance,

Lukas

mdsimula...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2022, 12:12:25 PM9/14/22
to cp2k
Can you submit your input?

Matt Watkins

Sep 14, 2022, 12:57:49 PM9/14/22
to cp2k
Dear Lukas,
in DFT you cannot specify individual charges - they get assigned to the 'best' (lowest energy) locations. You can only specify the overall charge of the system and the multiplicity (S(S+!)) by the CHARGE and MULTIPLICITY keywords in the DFT section - if MULTIPLICITY is not 1 you need to also set UKS = .TRUE.
Matt

Lukas Krieger

Sep 15, 2022, 5:29:17 AM9/15/22
to cp2k
Hi, sure.
quintuplet.inp

Lukas Krieger

Sep 15, 2022, 5:35:49 AM9/15/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Matt, thank you for your explanations. I'll try than the UKS= .TRUE option. One question still remains to me: How does DFT guarantee that the charges set according to lowest E locations are at the chemically right places as e.g. one negative charge on one oxygen of COO- and two positive ones on Fe2+?

Cheers,

Lukas