Re: box become larger when doing MD simulation in NVT ensemble

Message has been deleted

Marcella Iannuzzi

Dec 5, 2022, 5:01:56 AM12/5/22
to cp2k

?

By NVT the volume of the simulation cell is constant.
Maybe the displacement of the atoms is larger and larger and you see them moving to replicas of the simulation cell.
Regards
Marcella

On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 5:14:37 AM UTC+1 yue...@gmail.com wrote:
hi,  could you please help me ?
When doing MD simulation in NVT ensemble, my simulation box was found become larger and larger. I can't solve this problem.
Attachment are my files.
Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Message has been deleted

Thomas Kühne

Dec 6, 2022, 4:51:23 PM12/6/22
to 'Dorothea Golze' via cp2k
Dear Moon,

as is customary the coordinates in the output are not folded back into your cell in order to be able
to easily compute transport properties such as the translational diffusion constant via mean squared
displacements. Hence, even though internally periodic boundaries are properly taken into account
you may have the sensation that the atoms are spreading out when visualizing them.
If that is case everything everything is fine, but you can fold the coordinates back into the cell when
visualizing them.

Best,
Thomas Kühne

Am 06.12.2022 um 05:10 schrieb Moon Moon <yue...@gmail.com>:

Thank you for your comments.
The displacement of the atoms is indeed larger and larger, but they don't move  to replicas of the box.
I am confused with this phenomenon.

Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry