About the external potential

Lakshmi Anil

Jun 26, 2024, 12:16:01 PM (6 days ago) Jun 26
to cp2k

Hi everyone,

I am trying to apply both an electric field and excess charge simultaneously to my system. However, when I attempted to apply both, the adsorption energy I obtained was much lower than expected. Previously, when I applied only the electric field in my calculations, the energy was higher than what I obtained when there was excess charge in my system.

Specifically, I am applying a field of 0.25/A0 along the Z-direction. Could anyone please help me identify the error in my calculation? I have attached the input file for reference.

Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Lakshmi

Cu_top_5V_1e.inp

Marcella Iannuzzi

Jun 27, 2024, 3:48:13 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to cp2k
Hi Lakshmi

You are not applying an electric field, but an external potential that acts directly on the coordinates.
Just as a warning,  adding charges when dealing with metallic systems and adsorption is not straightforward.

Regards
Marcella

Lakshmi Anil

Jun 28, 2024, 11:57:25 AM (4 days ago) Jun 28
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Thank You Marcella, I am trying to figure it out how to apply both potential and charges on the surface. I am still confused about giving these conditions to my system.