U_MINUS_J values smaller than other software

mdsimula...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2022, 7:55:04 AM9/16/22
to cp2k
Hi,

I'm using DFT+U to model transition metal oxides in the GAPW method and I've noticed that the U_MINUS_J values I get tend to be smaller than those values reported in literature for software such as VASP, Quantum Espresso and/or abinit.  Anyone know why?

Thanks,
Frank

Krack Matthias (PSI)

Sep 16, 2022, 8:03:57 AM9/16/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi

U values are not transferable between methods/codes.

M.

mdsimula...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2022, 8:18:54 AM9/16/22
to cp2k
Hi Matthias,

Thanks and I understand they are not transferable but I have noticed that CP2K's U values tend to be significantly smaller than other method/codes, by at least half.  For instance, the U value for CuO in VASP and Quantum Espresso is around 7 eV, while for CP2K, I'm finding it to be around 2 eV.

What makes this large difference?

I'm trying to understand the differences so I can better match literature properties (spin moment, band gab, cell structure).

Thanks,
Frank

Krack Matthias (PSI)

Sep 16, 2022, 9:07:09 AM9/16/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Frank

Have a look at this paper in which the differences in U values are analyzed and discussed. Codes using localized basis sets seem to need often much smaller U values compared to the U values usually employed for PW codes.

Matthias