UFD races

1 view

Keith Baker

Jan 10, 2012, 7:31:33 PM1/10/12
to b...@drj.com, rpi...@dom.wustl.edu, Riedy Lyle, Chris Locke, CowTownCycling, Mark Stika, Mike Stika
Hey Bob........from the email i got from Lyle I know youre pretty well tired of dealing with this.  But i have to put my part in.  I worked really hard last year and so far this winter to compete in the 50+ next season.  The last i heard it was settled and Rich said it would not change.  Now all of the sudden it is.  I know of at least 4 others that think the same as me.  I or the others dont give a crap about a medal but we do want to race against our own and be competitive.  How can you expect us to race and compete against younger guys?  Maybe you dont see it cause of your ability.  Do they just not want the 50+ guys to race?      Anyway.......hope i didn't anger you anymore than you already were in the one email i read.  But this does SUCK.  And its wrong.  Yes...I know this is suppose to be mainly fun.  And it is.  I enjoy my bike more than anything i have ever done in the past.  On New Years Day my bike got stolen.  So I am getting a new one and getting one that i can be more competitive on.  I thought.  So ......there's my opinion.  Sorry to bother you.
Keith Baker
CowTown Racing
P.S.
Take all the money possible and give it to GORC.  Screw money for medals.  KEEP THE FREAKIN CLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I can't believe you said "so what if one, or two or maybe four wouldn't race because of this"......that's SAD.

Keith Baker

Jan 10, 2012, 9:36:20 PM1/10/12
to Pierce, Rich, b...@drj.com, Riedy Lyle, Chris Locke, CowTownCycling, Mark Stika, Mike Stika
So the races are for the promoters and not the racers?

Just Keith

On Jan 10, 2012, at 8:22 PM, "Pierce, Rich" <RPI...@DOM.wustl.edu> wrote:

Keith and all, the latest discussions among east side promoters led to a vote on classes.  Most promoters didn't have a preference.  Maybe 4 voted.  The majority of those who voted preferred a new approach that would split the age classes at under and over 40 to allow decent sized classes to race against each other and simplify and speed scoring and awards.

There would still be points competition for 50+ and other age classes.  Just no awards on race day for the 10-year age groups.

The last thing any of the promoters want to do is tick off the racers, disrespect them or ignore their needs.  But we had 1 50+ Expert last year.  Every race promoter throws away extra medals every race.  Scoring many groups is more complicated also.  it's not just the medals.

In cyclocross we have 3 classes.  A, B, and C, and no age classes till the state champs.  But its what folks are used to since I introduced it about 6 years ago at a winter cx series I promoted.  I wanted simplicity.  It caught on.

I'll be 59 next year.  Regardless of the age class I race in, I know who I am racing against, and their names are Keith, Mark, Kent, Scott, Duff, Tom, Tom, Jim sometimes, Bob, Mike, etc.  Those are the guys I want to line up against.  It will suck for me if you don't show up.  I hope we work it out.
rp