Our Coworking Philosophy

Tara Hunt

Sep 3, 2007, 4:26:59 PM9/3/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

We've published our coworking core values here:

http://citizenspace.us/about/our-philosophy/

...basically, to us, what separates coworking from coffee shops, deskshares and office space rentals. Now, this doesn't mean that everyone must espouse the same philosophy, but I'm starting to think about exactly what it is that we can put down in writing that can reify the uniqueness of coworking (and how we can explain it to others). So, your feedback or the publishing of your OWN values would be awesomeness.

The four 'pillars' for us:
  1. Collaboration
  2. Openness
  3. Community
  4. Sustainability
(Sustainability is pretty unique to us, but it seems to work well with the overall values).

Tara

--
tara 'miss rogue' hunt
co-founder & CMO

e...@cubespacepdx.com

Sep 4, 2007, 12:25:10 PM9/4/07
to Coworking
Tara,

Actually, CubeSpace is committed to sustainability and has been
certified by the City of Portland as a sustainable business. I have
pasted in our values statement below so everyone is clear on our
definition of sustainability:

We, Eva Schweber and David Kominsky, are committed to living out our
values as we run our business, CubeSpace. We believe in
Sustainability: preserving the planet, ensuring the ongoing well being
of employees, maintaining good relationships with our clients and
selecting vendors who will help us make the world a better place.

We believe that it is our responsibility to serve as custodians of the
planet: that the resources of the planet Earth are scarce and all too
often human beings spend those resources easily with little regard to
the cost.

This means: We choose renewable resources when possible, recycle what
we can and attempt to live in a manner consonant with the planet, not
in opposition to it.

We believe that every individual deserves to be treated as a person,
not a means to an end.

This means: We believe that people deserve to be paid a living wage,
to have access to health care and to derive fulfillment from their
labor. We believe in providing the tools and support to help our
employees succeed and feel good about coming to work. We believe that
lives should be balanced, and include time for play as well as work.

We believe that businesses should serve to make the world a better
place through their actions.

This means: We prefer to work with businesses which act as responsible
corporate citizens. We also prefer to work with smaller and more
locally-based businesses in order to encourage greater diversity in
the market, and to better be able to join forces with vendors who
share our beliefs.

Finally, we believe that money is a powerful tool for social change.

This means: We donate a percentage of profits directly to progressive
non-profit organizations that serve to make the world a better place.
We particularly support those organizations which are accountable and
can demonstrate effective use of the money they are given. On a more
personal level, our own purpose in starting CubeSpace is to build
personal wealth in order to be able to use that money to create a
better world. At the same time, we seek to create a business which
will be a good place for our employees to work, and will improve the
lives of those who use our services. We invite you to join us as we
try to make a better world for ourselves and future generations.

-Eva

On Sep 3, 1:26 pm, "Tara Hunt" <horsepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We've published our coworking core values here:
>
> http://citizenspace.us/about/our-philosophy/
>
> ...basically, to us, what separates coworking from coffee shops, deskshares
> and office space rentals. Now, this doesn't mean that everyone must espouse
> the same philosophy, but I'm starting to think about exactly what it is that
> we can put down in writing that can reify the uniqueness of coworking (and
> how we can explain it to others). So, your feedback or the publishing of
> your OWN values would be awesomeness.
>
> The four 'pillars' for us:
>

> 1. Collaboration
> 2. Openness
> 3. Community
> 4. Sustainability

Tara Hunt

Sep 4, 2007, 3:01:31 PM9/4/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Another vote for sustainability! :) We didn't want to push that on others (as it is not always easy to do for the underfunded). It's whether people see it as a core value or as a highly encouraged value...

Alex Hillman

Sep 4, 2007, 3:04:15 PM9/4/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Ditto on the sustainability here at IndyHall. We have a green
consultant coming to help us punch-list evaluate what we can be doing
better within the next couple of weeks.

-Alex

--
-----

Geoff DiMasi

Sep 4, 2007, 3:15:18 PM9/4/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I am a sustainability freak. Anything I can do to make Indy Hall (and the world) more sustainable... I will do.

Geoff DiMasi
P'unk Avenue