Membership numbers

Susan Evans

Aug 21, 2007, 5:21:47 PM8/21/07
to Coworking
Hi all space owners out there,

Does anyone have a good formula for balancing out the number of
memberships available for sale for coworking with the number of desk
spaces available? Office Nomads (Seattle) is working on determining a
sustainable number of memberships to make available, recognizing that
number can be higher than the number of actual desk spaces we will
have. Any suggestions? Success stories? Helpful learning
experiences?

Many thanks!
Susan

Tara Hunt

Aug 21, 2007, 5:29:21 PM8/21/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, in...@abetterplacetowork.com
I don't know if they are on the list, but you may want to chat with the Workspace people in Vancouver...they must have some formula. Many of the spaces I know of actually rent desks (and not just memberships) where people can leave their stuff and, hence, don't double book.

Workspace: http://abetterplacetowork.com/

Tara

Chris Messina

Aug 21, 2007, 8:31:17 PM8/21/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
It's also a matter of:

1. how much you need to make to keep the space open
2. what percentage of your desks you can afford to leave open for
drop-ins both as a community gift and as a way of letting people try
out your space without obligation
3. what percentage of your space should be devoted to full-time or
regulars without making the drop-in space feel kind of awkward and an
after thought...

So I don't think that it's so much of a formula as I do a question of
general feel/ambiance and what kind of space you want to run that will
also sustain itself.

At Citizen Space, we have about 8 full time desks that we rent out
where people can leave things like displays, keyboards, books, etc...
it's all in the open. We also have an additional eight seats in the
back, spread over 4 desks. Anyone can use these desks; we also have an
additional 4 seats over 2 desks in a closed "conversation room",
providing a nice flex space for both full time, paying members, and
for our drop-ins.

Finding a mix between those two priorities I think is a good place to
start... you can certainly charge for all your spaces, but in the
beginning, depending on local demand and awareness, you might find
that too high a barrier to entry to begin. It might be better to start
with a hybrid model and as people fill in and book their spaces on a
regular basis, convert free areas to meet the need that arises.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &

Zach Hanna

Sep 24, 2019, 7:08:22 PM9/24/19
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this list is still dead.

However, I had been reading in a few places that Adam Neumann claims to have invented coworking as a business model....in 2008.
But I can't find the actual quote.

Anyways, how is the list doing?

Alex Hillman

Sep 24, 2019, 7:10:26 PM9/24/19