CoWorking in London

26 views
Skip to first unread message

Bru

unread,
Feb 24, 2007, 9:15:27 AM2/24/07
to Coworking
Hi,
I'm new on the group. Got here after an amazing conversation with
Chris Messina in London (thanks again).
I'm looking for existing experiences of coworking in London and/or for
people who'd like to create a new one.
Also, my current dayjob (http://www.headshift.com) already has offices
but we're bound to get bigger ones soon... you'll never know ;)

Cheers,
Rick aka Bru

Simon L

unread,
Feb 24, 2007, 2:38:13 PM2/24/07
to Coworking
Hi Rick,

I spoke to Chris a few days ago, and I've also emailed Brad with
questions on how HatFactory has implemented their anchor system
(waiting to hear back). I think we'll probably end up with different
types of Coworking space in London, from those that are communal and
collaborative in spirit, to more commercially-minded ventures. I'm
more interested in the former, but happy to explore across the
spectrum.

If there are other independents who are serious about this, we should
meet to discuss what our goals are and discuss what kind of commitment
we're willing to put in. We also need to explore the type of
community/business models which are realistic for London by analysing
the existing Coworking spaces which are in operation.

--Simon

Chris Messina

unread,
Feb 24, 2007, 4:29:53 PM2/24/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
If you guys would like me to post a call on the coworking blog, lemme
know. We have a number of blog authors already, but I can volunteer
for the copy-paste job. ;)

Chris


--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &
Open Source Ambassador-at-Large
Work: http://citizenagency.com
Blog: http://factoryjoe.com/blog
Cell: 412 225-1051
Skype: factoryjoe
This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Feb 24, 2007, 5:23:51 PM2/24/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris,
I think before that we should have something to post :)

But why not doing that (deciding) now? Let's have a first meeting sometime next week to discuss the topic.
My proposal is either thursday at 18.30 at the Market Porter (http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/pub/1n82z8u/the-market-porter) or during the MiniBar on friday ( http://upcoming.org/event/129563/).

The former if we want to have a chance to talk, the latter if we hope in some snowball effect ;)

Cheers,
  R

> > Also, my current dayjob (http://www.headshift.com ) already has offices

> > but we're bound to get bigger ones soon...  you'll never know ;)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   Rick aka Bru
>
>
> >
>


--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &
  Open Source Ambassador-at-Large
Work: http://citizenagency.com
Blog: http://factoryjoe.com/blog
Cell: 412 225-1051
Skype: factoryjoe
This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private






--
Riccardo CAMBIASSI
mailto:r.cam...@gmail.com
http://www.codewitch.org

Simon L

unread,
Feb 26, 2007, 10:48:16 AM2/26/07
to Coworking
Rick,

> My proposal is either thursday at 18.30 at the Market Porter (http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/pub/1n82z8u/the-market-porter) or

I can do Wed... Does that work for you?

> during the MiniBar on friday (http://upcoming.org/event/129563/).

We could do a quick introduction to Coworking (I think we're allowed 5
minutes at Minibar) as a call to arms, and to see how much interest is
out there.

--Simon

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Feb 26, 2007, 5:47:22 PM2/26/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Wednesday sounds fine. If we can come up with any presentable ideas, I'm totally in for the presentation on friday too!

Is the Market Porter ok for you? here's my mobile just in case -> 00447896505711

  R

On 2/26/07, Simon L <si...@bitcartel.com> wrote:

Rick,

> My proposal is either thursday at 18.30 at the Market Porter (http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/pub/1n82z8u/the-market-porter ) or


I can do Wed...  Does that work for you?

> during the MiniBar on friday (http://upcoming.org/event/129563/).

We could do a quick introduction to Coworking (I think we're allowed 5
minutes at Minibar) as a call to arms, and to see how much interest is
out there.

--Simon




Simon L

unread,
Feb 26, 2007, 8:17:54 PM2/26/07
to Coworking
Rick,

Sure, the Market Porter is fine, I know where it is...

The BusinessWeek article is worth checking out:
http://blog.coworking.info/2007/02/26/coworking-in-businessweekcom/#comments

I think we could just give a quick talk/intro and why we're
interested, rather than a formal presentation, and then just chat to
people who are interested. Perhaps take a copy of BusinessWeek with
us, so people can look over the article/pictures. It really helps if
people can visualise the different models in play, and see that things
are really happening, rather than coworking just being a neat idea.

--Simon

On Feb 26, 10:47 pm, "Riccardo Cambiassi" <r.cambia...@gmail.com>
wrote:


> Wednesday sounds fine. If we can come up with any presentable ideas, I'm
> totally in for the presentation on friday too!
>
> Is the Market Porter ok for you? here's my mobile just in case ->
> 00447896505711
>
> R
>

> On 2/26/07, Simon L <s...@bitcartel.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Rick,
>
> > > My proposal is either thursday at 18.30 at the Market Porter (
> >http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/pub/1n82z8u/the-market-porter)
> > or
>
> > I can do Wed... Does that work for you?
>
> > > during the MiniBar on friday (http://upcoming.org/event/129563/).
>
> > We could do a quick introduction to Coworking (I think we're allowed 5
> > minutes at Minibar) as a call to arms, and to see how much interest is
> > out there.
>
> > --Simon
>
> --
> Riccardo CAMBIASSI

> mailto:r.cambia...@gmail.comhttp://www.codewitch.org

Chris Messina

unread,
Feb 27, 2007, 1:38:26 AM2/27/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
In that sense, the accompanying slideshow is really good:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/02/0227_coworking/index_01.htm

Chris

dcta...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 5, 2007, 6:46:18 AM3/5/07
to Coworking
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I managed to miss the first meeting.. will deffo be
round for the next though.

We've (New Bamboo - http://new-bamboo.co.uk) got offices in Caledonian
road and have a space desk with space for 4-6 people. It's a shame to
see it go to waste. We're toying with the idea of inviting people in.
We've got a couch and a Wii :). Preferably Ruby on Rails developers,
but we're open to anything.

I wonder, anyone interested (or do you know anyone interested?).

Maybe give us a call or come along to the next OpenCoffee morning and
we'll have a chat?

Damien Tanner - iamrice.org

New Bamboo Web Development Ltd.
Creating fresh, flexible and fast-growing web applications is our
passion.

+44 (0)20 7099 7486
+44 (0)78 6312 7999
dam...@new-bamboo.co.uk
http://www.new-bamboo.co.uk

United House
North Road
London
N7 9DP
United Kingdom

VAT No. 897 0857 61
Company No. 943167

On Feb 27, 6:38 am, "Chris Messina" <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In that sense, the accompanying slideshow is really good:
>
> http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/02/0227_coworking/index_01.htm
>
> Chris
>

> On 2/27/07, Simon L <s...@bitcartel.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Rick,
>
> > Sure, the Market Porter is fine, I know where it is...
>
> > The BusinessWeek article is worth checking out:

> >http://blog.coworking.info/2007/02/26/coworking-in-businessweekcom/#c...

Simon L

unread,
Mar 5, 2007, 9:40:34 AM3/5/07
to Coworking
Damien,
Sounds interesting. Any pictures of the space? How about hosting a
one-off Jelly type event? For example, pick one day and get
interested coworkers to work from the space. It will be a useful
experiment for all involved, and will at least get things rolling in
London.
--Simon

> We've (New Bamboo -http://new-bamboo.co.uk) got offices in Caledonian

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Mar 5, 2007, 9:44:15 AM3/5/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Count me in for the jelly event

dcta...@gmail.com

unread,
Mar 5, 2007, 9:56:09 AM3/5/07
to Coworking
Simon, Riccardo - That sounds like a plan... maybe we'll think up a
date for next week.

There are in fact some pictures up on flickr. Basically the room has
for areas: our desks (4), sofa/coffee table, meeting table and then
another oval white desk with space for a comfortable 4.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/new_bamboo_london/375517130/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/new_bamboo_london/388980691/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/new_bamboo_london/388983949/ <-- Desks
available (that chair makes it look smaller than it is)

On Mar 5, 2:44 pm, "Riccardo Cambiassi" <r.cambia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Count me in for the jelly event
>

> On 3/5/07, Simon L <s...@bitcartel.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Damien,
> > Sounds interesting. Any pictures of the space? How about hosting a
> > one-off Jelly type event? For example, pick one day and get
> > interested coworkers to work from the space. It will be a useful
> > experiment for all involved, and will at least get things rolling in
> > London.
> > --Simon
>
> > > We've (New Bamboo -http://new-bamboo.co.uk) got offices in Caledonian
> > > road and have a space desk with space for 4-6 people. It's a shame to
> > > see it go to waste. We're toying with the idea of inviting people in.
> > > We've got a couch and a Wii :). Preferably Ruby on Rails developers,
> > > but we're open to anything.
>

ivan at sustainablemarketing [dot] com

unread,
Mar 8, 2007, 9:24:04 AM3/8/07
to Coworking
I'll be in London from March 13th for about a week - and back again
towards the end of the month. I'm in CItizenSpace so if you wanted to
ask me in person about the experience it would be fun to meet up. I
also might need a place to get some work done for a few hours ;-)

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Mar 8, 2007, 10:00:35 AM3/8/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
lovely, let's organize another meetup next week! Does the 14th at 6.30pm sound good?
Maybe in a place where we can actually sit down this time... any suggestion?

 R

ivan at sustainablemarketing [dot] com

unread,
Mar 9, 2007, 11:31:35 AM3/9/07
to Coworking
That sounds cool. I get in that morning but usually I take a nap and
am up for an evening meetup. If I forget to check this group my UK
SkypeIn should forward to my mobile phone +44 020 8133 8494 or +1
510 292 7262 is the actual cell # and I have an international plan so
feel free to call.

On Mar 8, 7:00 am, "Riccardo Cambiassi" <r.cambia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> lovely, let's organize another meetup next week! Does the 14th at

> 6.30pmsound good?


> Maybe in a place where we can actually sit down this time... any suggestion?
>
> R
>

> On 3/8/07, ivan at sustainablemarketing [dot] com <ivano...@gmail.com>


> wrote:
>
>
>
> > I'll be in London from March 13th for about a week - and back again
> > towards the end of the month. I'm in CItizenSpace so if you wanted to
> > ask me in person about the experience it would be fun to meet up. I
> > also might need a place to get some work done for a few hours ;-)
>
> --
> Riccardo CAMBIASSI

> mailto:r.cambia...@gmail.comhttp://www.codewitch.org

Simon L

unread,
Mar 11, 2007, 9:07:49 AM3/11/07
to Coworking
http://www.red-bean.com/ospowiki/LondonOpenSourceJam02

How about meeting on the 15th at the Googleplex in London? We get a
laptop friendly environment, a chance to speak to others about
Coworking (would Linux hackers/freelancers interested, any specific
needs), and give Ivan a chance to beat the jet-lag.

On Mar 9, 4:31 pm, "ivan at sustainablemarketing [dot] com"

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Mar 11, 2007, 9:55:27 AM3/11/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds awesome to me!!!

Simon L

unread,
Mar 13, 2007, 7:37:44 AM3/13/07
to Coworking
Riccardo,
It's most likely that Ivan can't do that day, so it may have to be the
original plan of Wed 14th. Do you have a venue in mind?
--Simon

On Mar 11, 1:55 pm, "Riccardo Cambiassi" <r.cambia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Sounds awesome to me!!!
>

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Mar 13, 2007, 7:16:51 PM3/13/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, not really, shall we try and meet again at 6.30 at the market porter?
From there we can then stroll to some other place where hopefully we can have a seat.

 R

Simon L

unread,
Mar 14, 2007, 8:14:46 AM3/14/07
to Coworking
Ok, see you there.

On Mar 13, 11:16 pm, "Riccardo Cambiassi" <r.cambia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

ivan at sustainablemarketing [dot] com

unread,
Mar 14, 2007, 1:41:19 PM3/14/07
to Coworking
I'm leaving South Kensington Now. Trying to figure out how to call
your mobile...

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Mar 14, 2007, 2:02:16 PM3/14/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys, I really can't make it tonight, I'll try to call Simon now :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

SanManUWS

unread,
Sep 17, 2007, 9:08:42 AM9/17/07
to Bru, coworking
Hey all -

Spending a week here in London - wondering if coworking took off out
here....

Sanford

Chris Messina

unread,
Sep 18, 2007, 12:47:12 AM9/18/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Did you check this out?

http://coworking.pbwiki.com/CoworkingLondon

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &

Open Source Advocate-at-Large

Riccardo Cambiassi

unread,
Sep 19, 2007, 4:59:58 PM9/19/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris!
Nope, will check it now :D

Thanks for the intelligence ;)

 R

On 9/18/07, Chris Messina < chris....@gmail.com> wrote:

Did you check this out?

http://coworking.pbwiki.com/CoworkingLondon

Chris

On 9/17/07, SanManUWS <sdic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all -
>
> Spending a week here in London - wondering if coworking took off out
> here....
>
> Sanford
>
> On Feb 24, 10:15 am, "Bru" <r.cambia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm new on the group. Got here after an amazing conversation with
> > Chris Messina in London (thanks again).
> > I'm looking for existing experiences of coworking in London and/or for
> > people who'd like to create a new one.
> > Also, my current dayjob ( http://www.headshift.com) already has offices

> > but we're bound to get bigger ones soon...  you'll never know ;)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   Rick aka Bru
>
>
> >
>


--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &
  Open Source Advocate-at-Large
Work: http://citizenagency.com
Blog: http://factoryjoe.com/blog
Cell: 412 225-1051
Skype: factoryjoe
This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private



Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages