co-working in São Paulo, Brazil

Renato @ São Paulo, BR

Apr 27, 2007, 10:11:15 PM4/27/07
to Coworking
hi, there, everybody!

i'm a student of advertising @ Sao Paulo University (USP) and I've
once had an idea 'bout having those coffee shops with meeting rooms
within it. I've looked for some partnership with some great coffee-
houses in the cities, but they just didn't seem very interested.

now, I'm completely astonished 'bout this whole idea of co-working. A
friend of mine has passed me the link 4 'eugene's coworking.com', and
i've been searching the sites for some hours this night.

the question is: i haven't found this info, but could anyone tell me
if somebody's already got a sponsorship for the project in any city,
or some kind of support of some coffee-shop owner? and, I mean, is
that the idea? or people who wants to co-work are sharing the costs
for their own?

second question:

is the co-work project also some kind of 'collaborative co-creative
network': I mean, you 'get there', and join somebody who you don't
know to work 'bout something which is already going on? Or just a
place to work alone, along with some other people, working on their
own?

did I make myself clear? can anyone help me on this stuff?

thx!

;)
Renato Lacastagneratte

PS: third question: is there already anyone from Brazil in this group?
let's talk!

Tara Hunt

Apr 28, 2007, 1:56:45 AM4/28/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Renato!

This is totally cool...I've been wanting to go to Brazil. You are creating another excuse for Chris and I! :)

Answers-ish:

the question is: i haven't found this info, but could anyone tell me
if somebody's already got a sponsorship for the project in any city,
or some kind of support of some coffee-shop owner?

1. The group in Paris (Silicon Sentier) is building their coworking space with the support of the municipal government and a large corporation's innovative division

You may want to contact them directly: louis at af83 dot com may be able to help you out.

2. In SF, we started our project talking to a coffee-shop owner (ritual roasters) who was totally supportive of us opening a place next door. She wanted to support the local indie tech community, but couldn't afford the power bills and the fact that people would come in, buy one coffee and muffin and sit in her shop for 8 hours. This way, they could buy their food and coffee, then come next door to work, freeing up space in her shop for more coffee lovers. Unfortunately, the guy who owned the repair shop next door wasn't willing to budge. :( Fortunately, we just found an affordable (2) space(s) and bankrolled it all ourselves without much overhead.

and, I mean, is
that the idea? or people who wants to co-work are sharing the costs
for their own?

Depends on your situation. I'm sure others will pipe in here with their stories.

second question:

is the co-work project also some kind of 'collaborative co-creative
network': I mean, you 'get there', and join somebody who you don't
know to work 'bout something which is already going on?

That's the goal someday. We already do this 'loosely', but nothing formalized. Citizen Agency (our company) is working on something right now that will network the spaces, provide information for emerging spaces (and, hopefully resources) and then a network for everyone to connect in this way. In that way, a ruby developer can post skills and availability so that when someone else needs a ruby developer, they can find one another. But that is a few months away at least. For now, that happens on this list informally.

Or just a
place to work alone, along with some other people, working on their
own?

I think, generally, more of this happens. In our space, anyway...the collaboration takes place ad hocly and as needed.

--
Sincerely,

Tara
-----------------------
tara 'miss rogue' hunt
co-founder & CMO
Citizen Agency ( www.citizenagency.com)
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

Chris Messina

Apr 29, 2007, 8:36:18 PM4/29/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
And, make sure that you add yourself to the Coworking Wiki as
interested in CoworkingSaoPaulo:

http://wiki.coworking.info

Welcome to the group!

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &

djo...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 7:09:14 AM4/30/07
to Coworking
You might want to check www.the-hub.net They have 3rd office type
spaces for social entrepreneurs. One of them is in Sao Paolo. The
others are in London, Bristol (coming later this year - in a converted
watermill), Mumbai, Rotterdam (just opened - although officially opens
in June I am meeting the guys who set that up on Thursday), Berlin
and Johanesberg. There are another 10 countries who are working
through the feasibility process to become Hubs also. Membership
entitles you to work in any of them. I have the full documentation on
their appraoch to partnerships and overall philosophy. is there a way
to upload files to the wiki? If not then will send it to any
inetrested parties...... Or post a precis on the wiki......

I have a meeting with the founding partner of The Hub the week after
next: would be intrested to hear what people think of their appraoch
and how it fits within the coworking community.

I am also working toward a London Jelly, much of the Amit Gupta
pioneered style. If you are in London or on your way to London then
you would be more than welcome at my place as of now - just get in
touch. An official page with more infomration will go up soon on the
coworking site. It's going to be a couple of months still before I
have the place here as I would like it. Once sorted the London Jelly
should be able to welcome 5 or so people on at least a day a
week......

Richard and any of the others who have been posting about London
coworking, I am completely there for the next meeting. In fact I would
be more than happy to host the next meeting at my place (near Angel)
if you wish......... We could all meet at The Hub (just up the road
from me) and check their space out and then come back to mine for
waffle, plans and beers......

Joey

On Apr 30, 1:36 am, "Chris Messina" <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And, make sure that you add yourself to the Coworking Wiki as
> interested in CoworkingSaoPaulo:
>
> http://wiki.coworking.info
>
> Welcome to the group!
>
> Chris

djo...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 7:18:00 AM4/30/07
to Coworking
Just found the file uploader. Have put two files in there that tell
you what The Hub is all about.

Be good to hear any thoughts,

Joey

On Apr 30, 12:09 pm, "djo...@gmail.com" <djo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might want to checkwww.the-hub.netThey have 3rd office type

Renato @ São Paulo, BR

Apr 30, 2007, 10:18:37 PM4/30/07
to Coworking
Hi, Tara!

First of all, you and Chris are very welcome by these tropical lands,
ok?

;)

Second: hey, this whole project is very exciting!

And, well, thanks for the contact of the french guys, I'll talk to
them.

Well, you've said something true 'bout the coffee shop with this 'co-
working' spaces: it's difficult for a traditional place to 'embed'
meeting rooms/working space within it, as people will take very long
and spend few money. How do you solve this in the co-working spaces?
Are you charging a fee or something? Is it how it's happening?

Do you know successfull initiatives that aren't charging fees or
something? I'm afraid this can move away some interesting target in
Sao Paulo, specially, but I'm still working on how to make the idea
viable.

Hm! And could you talk more about your 'citizen agency'? What exactaly
are you guys doing? I've got really interested in the idea of these
'comunity-centric strategies' and stuff.

Thx for the help!

;)
Renato.

Renato @ São Paulo, BR

Apr 30, 2007, 10:35:33 PM4/30/07
to Coworking
Hi Joey and everybody!

thx for the indication, TheHub seems to be a very interesting project.
I haven't heard 'bout them yet, but I've seem the doc you've just
posted here (the first doc isn't avaiable, I couldn't get it, just the
brochure was 'working'), it seems trully interesting. I'll contact the
guys to get more info on the project here in Sao Paolo.

thx! ;)
Renato