Oh, Stardust. What're we gonna do with you...?

David Rogers

Mar 19, 2010, 8:32:22 AM3/19/10
to Coworking-Orlando
So anyone who's been to Stardust for Coworking Tuesdays in the last
month has noticed an appreciable fall-off in the quality of the wifi.
Routers have been exchanged more than once. It's not pretty.

Furthermore, I've been informed (although I have no first-hand
experience to corroborate) that the proprietors have finally made good
on their promises to install a stage. Right on top of our regular
spot. Yes, good friends, the long table on the not-so-sunny side of
the room will be no more.

Can't say we didn't see (or hear directly from the staff) this coming.
But this begets the question: What now? There's been a little table
chatter over the last couple months about this pending disaster... How
about something on the group, though?

Sparking discussion (I hope),

David

Ryan Price

Mar 19, 2010, 8:46:50 AM3/19/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Urban Think! bookstore shutting down

Urban Think Foundation, a nonprofit organization affiliated with the store, is still talking about whether something else could go into the space. Ideas being considered include renting space to creative professionals such as graphic designers, Harris said.

This probably won't happen until the summer.

Peace,
Ryan Price
@liberatr

FloridaCreatives.com
Orlando Happy Hour: Mar 15th @ Crooked Bayou
Next Likemind: Mar 19th @ UrbanThink!

BarCampOrlando.org
Saturday, April 3rd, 9-6 @ Wall St Plaza
Flash Mob Pillow Fight to follow @pillowlando

James Tryon

Mar 20, 2010, 4:57:17 PM3/20/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Lets Move Locations? Any good ideas?

Gregg Pollack

Mar 20, 2010, 6:21:59 PM3/20/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 20, 2010, at 4:57 PM, James Tryon <ja...@easilyamusedinc.com>

Gregg Pollack

Mar 20, 2010, 6:24:51 PM3/20/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the blank email. I'd recommend CoLab but I don't thunk
that is coffee shoppish enough.

Boston Coffeehouse in the back of waterford lakes is nice for
coworking and their wifi is typically dependable.

wrote:

> Lets Move Locations? Any good ideas?

James Tryon

Mar 20, 2010, 6:32:02 PM3/20/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
I like Bostons but sometimes we have at lest 20 people there and i don't think Boston's would work for that many.

But Coffee is a good place to start

John Muller

Mar 22, 2010, 2:15:26 PM3/22/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
There is Bad Ass Coffee on John Young in south Orlando (
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/26/300203/restaurant/South/Bad-Ass-Coffee-Orlando
). There is also a tea shop in the same area (
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/26/1491552/restaurant/South/Wishes-Brew-Tea-House-of-Hunters-Creek-Orlando
), but you are probably looking for something downtown. - John Muller

--
thanks,

- john

Eric Marden

Mar 22, 2010, 11:53:09 PM3/22/10
to Coworking-Orlando
On Mar 19, 7:32 am, David Rogers <al.th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Furthermore, I've been informed (although I have no first-hand
> experience to corroborate) that the proprietors have finally made good
> on their promises to install a stage. Right on top of our regular
> spot. Yes, good friends, the long table on the not-so-sunny side of
> the room will be no more.

This is what happens when you don't eat lunch at the establishment
your leeching bandwidth from!

Just kidding, but I do hope the informal coworking group finds a new
home. I second Gregg's recommendation to give Colab a try once again.
You can still go out to lunch and there are cheap/free parking
available if you don't mind walking in a few blocks.

Also consider that coworking out of someone's home is a fun idea.
James and I used to do that a lot before I left (granted we were
always working on the same projects) and the experience of being able
to rock out with loud music, eat home cooked food stuffs, and have
access to office-y things like printers and white boards was
priceless.

Then again, you guys could come together and just start a community
space of your own... :)

~e

John Todero

Mar 23, 2010, 9:14:52 AM3/23/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com

There is also that new coffee / wifi spot off of Central and Rosalind called Blankspace.  I haven’t worked from there yet, I would say its probably not a replacement for Stardust but I would like to hear if anyone has any comments on that place.

-John T.

Ryan Price

Mar 23, 2010, 12:07:30 PM3/23/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
On working from someone's house (Jelly), I would be happy to offer my kitchen table, couches and two desks to the group. We even have the back patio with some chairs and stuff, and Bright House Turbo. Lots of places to eat nearby - SoDo, Blackwater BBQ, Johnny's Fillin Station, etc.

*****

I go to blankspace when someone invites me there - I have never just sat there to work before. It's not open certain days (because Jefre is traveling), but the things I have done there have been great. They also have a projector, so it could be good for meetings.

If you want, Jefre will rent it out to you for functions, private and public, for about $150, or less if people buy coffee / drinks.

Peace,
Ryan Price
@liberatr

FloridaCreatives.com
Orlando Happy Hour: Mar 15th @ Crooked Bayou
Next Likemind: Mar 19th @ UrbanThink!

BarCampOrlando.org
Saturday, April 3rd, 9-6 @ Wall St Plaza
Flash Mob Pillow Fight to follow @pillowlando

James Tryon

Mar 23, 2010, 1:12:03 PM3/23/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Same thing with my house, but who wants to drive to Oviedo - No One ;c )

Richard Dean

Mar 23, 2010, 1:27:35 PM3/23/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
So has the new stage stopped Tuesday coworking at Stardust already? Or are you all just trying to figure out where to go once the stage is in place?

Maybe the CoLab Free Fridays can be changed to free Tuesday until the group settles on a new location.  I think it would be nice to have some new (and familiar) faces at CoLab on Tuesday.  Plus maybe there are others out there that can not make Fridays for some reason and so maybe trying Tuesday for a while would give other people a chance to try CoLab out who normally would not get to.

By the way, I shed a small tear after reading James last post. :-)

Alexander Rudloff

Mar 23, 2010, 1:36:39 PM3/23/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
I bet I could get people to drive out to Satellite before James could get them to Oviedo ;)

I'm not all too involved these days, but when I do make it over occasionally, I've been blown away by the developing tech scene downtown. If a location can be found in that area that fits the bill, it'll only serve to add to the excitement around there. It really is neat to walk around that few block area and see a bunch of people in the tech industry that you've met personally from various events.

Joshua Blount

Mar 23, 2010, 1:37:06 PM3/23/10
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Richard Dean <rdea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So has the new stage stopped Tuesday coworking at Stardust already? Or are
> you all just trying to figure out where to go once the stage is in place?

Hi! We're still coworking at Stardust on Tuesdays. In fact a few of us
are here as I type this.

I for one am not really interested in finding a new place to do
coworking. I was trying to avoid saying this on the list because I
think people exploring other options if fun and good. I'm not sure the
the introduction of a stage or crummy wifi in the afternoons changes
the fact that Stardust is a pretty neat place to work from.

Eric Marden - Coworker

Mar 25, 2010, 2:17:41 AM3/25/10
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Alexander Rudloff <arud...@gmail.com> wrote:
I bet I could get people to drive out to Satellite before James could get them to Oviedo ;)

Well, you have a smoker and the bad ass skills to use it. I would probably fly to cowork with your bbq before going to visit my biggest collaborator in Oviedo too ;)

I'm not all too involved these days, but when I do make it over occasionally, I've been blown away by the developing tech scene downtown. If a location can be found in that area that fits the bill, it'll only serve to add to the excitement around there. It really is neat to walk around that few block area and see a bunch of people in the tech industry that you've met personally from various events.

Way back in the early days of Coworking Orlando, the idea was to get 7 - 10 'anchor' members and start a co-op space. Colab is cool, but with its increasing focus on renting out offices to growing companies its getting less 'coworky'. Maybe the co-op idea should be rekindled by those that still live there. There is a huge spectrum of needs in the Orlando community and all of them are not yet being met yet, and having a dedicated coworking space, in the style of the way most of the other successful spaces in the country operate, is still missing in O-Town. Given the huge sprawl of Central Florida, concentrating them in/near downtown is definitely a good idea in terms of incresing the vibrancy of the scene. If its all popping within walking distance of each other, you can't help to feel the electricity in the air... but then again that my just be the lightening. ;)

Excelsior!

~e

Eric Marden - Coworker

Mar 25, 2010, 2:20:38 AM3/25/10

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Joshua Blount <he...@joshuablount.com> wrote:
Hi! We're still coworking at Stardust on Tuesdays. In fact a few of us
are here as I type this. I'm not sure the the introduction of a stage or crummy wifi in the afternoons changes

the fact that Stardust is a pretty neat place to work from.

Yeah stardust caught me tweeting about this conversation and set me straight too (as did Josh, but he's right here so I won't talk about him like he's not in the room, hi josh!).

Three things I pulled out of the exchange: 1) They are putting the stage in, but its not in yet. 2) They know the coworking group exists. 3) They want us to still cowork there.

~e

David Rogers

Mar 25, 2010, 1:29:16 PM3/25/10
to Coworking-Orlando
Honestly, I was just interested in sparking some discussion about
Stardust and what we, as a group, could do to make the coworking
experience a little more... Well, ours, really. There have only been a
handful of times that people have really had to abandon Stardust
because of connectivity issues; it happens. The jovial complaints we
file against the wifi have become more of an "endearing quality" of
the location than an issue.

I find it interesting that the natural resolution of all the people
that _don't_ show up to Stardust is to move the group to another
location (James, one-liners don't count). ;)

It's good to know that the proprietors know that we exist and _want_
us there. So, once this stage is up, where shall we claim? Is there
anything that can be done about the wifi anymore, or is that out of
our hands again?

In another vein, I'm still interested in a community-driven, community-
run coworking space like Eric was talking about, which I think only
stands a chance if there are those 7 - 10 "anchors" to foot the bill
for the rest of the transients. I'm still casually poking around
commercial real estate, looking for a warehouse-like facility that's
reasonably priced and located... Nothing appropriate to report yet,
and I couldn't afford a lease on anything, anyway (see "anchors",
above).

David Rogers

Mar 25, 2010, 1:31:22 PM3/25/10
to Coworking-Orlando
I like the idea of running some Jellies. Probably couldn't manage
weeklies at one person's house, but maybe once a month? All of us
social folks with extra space could take turns hosting. Fun, says I.

James Tryon

Mar 25, 2010, 1:55:53 PM3/25/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

First off I love stardust and Colab. So now you know im not bashing them.

I know a lot of us have been talking over the years about different options. Eric Ryan and of course David. I could not sleep the other night and i was thinking about coworking. The running gag about me living in Oviedo is more then a joke. It cost me $20.00 a day to drive to colab in gas tolls and parking. This is before i even pay for the drop in fee for colab. This is why I only really go to colab on fridays.

Some of you also know that I had a office for two years. it was a older building and some of you have been there. I was paying $1400.00 a month for rent, water, power and internet. The office was only about 1000 square feet. there was also all the free parking anyone could need. We held art shows out of this office space. Meetings and a lot of coworking with other small shops.

Again not picking on colab but check out there pricing: http://orlando.colabusa.com/?page_id=383

Its a little much for me if i still have to pay for parking. day rate for me would cost 35.00 out of pocket. If i bought the basic 4 days a month and went on free fridays it would still cost me 210.00 for 8 days of co-working.

I have not wanted to say anything because i dont know what Im doing. I have been thinking about moving. This could be to the downtown area or up to where Eric is in chicago. Or even Austin. I'm not sure what the pans are at this time. That being said, I found a office /warehouse space in winter park that was a little under 1500.00 a month and was 2500 square feet. 1000 warehouse and 1500 offices and such. There is a big Art seen in Orlando and to rent out studio space for them to be able to get out of there houses and come to a space that is theres and pain, draw, make cool stuff would be very cool. Then all us techies could use the other space for what we do best.

It would cost very little if we had a hand full of people that wanted to do this. I have no problem donating all my old office stuff to a space like this. It would be nice to have a place to call my own and be able to go 24/7.

this would be more of a co-opt not so much a jelly or a colab type thing b/c the members would set all the rules and pricing. No one would be in the co-opt to make money. it would be a community run space.

Thoughts

-James

Rich Dean

Mar 25, 2010, 1:58:48 PM3/25/10
to Coworking-Orlando
David,

As someone who _does not_ show up to Stardust, I can say I only
suggested a change of location because your initial post stated
something about a "pending disaster" due to changes at Stardust. The
way I understood your initial post was that the group was not going to
be able to work at Startdust in the near future (which seems not to be
the case at this point).

I have nothing to gain by recommending a change of location to CoLab
other then the hope to work around an even larger group of smart and
creative people which I think would be cool.

I have always meant to try coworking down at Startdust because I have
friends like Eric, James, and Tim H. who seems to think it is great
place to work, so I am glad to hear that it might still work out
there.

I would definitely like to hear about it if you make any progress in a
community-driven coworking space. I think it would compliment CoLab
and be good for the tech scene in general in Orlando.

Good Luck,
Rich

[...]

James Tryon

Mar 25, 2010, 2:02:13 PM3/25/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
quick Craigslist listings for point of reference.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/off/1658765195.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/off/1658709556.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/off/1648386964.html

Greg Pederson

Mar 25, 2010, 5:38:57 PM3/25/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Just thought I'd through my .02 in concerning parking costs.  I believe Rich and Dave street park in the Historic Eola neighborhood for free and walk to Colab.  Others who have memberships or offices rent a parking space for around $60/month....so that would make the 8 days of coworking per month closer to $160 as opposed to the $210.  There are also 2 or 3 lots that charge $5/day, which would actually make 8 days of coworking $140, excluding tolls.  And finally cheap suckers like me just walk to Colab :)
--
Greg Pederson
Founder and Technical Director

407.385.0098 office
888.308.9695 toll free

@gregpederson twitter
Nsight Development, LLC.
www.NsightDevelopment.com

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

James Tryon

Mar 25, 2010, 5:42:05 PM3/25/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Thats good to know. Thanks Greg.

John Todero

Mar 25, 2010, 10:37:50 AM3/25/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com

I just wanted to add something from the CoLab perspective.  CoLab is still dedicated to coworking, although we are not under the assumption it has to be solely “open area” space as some of the other spaces in the country practice.  With the suites being part of the layout of the building we are in, and with the recent expansions to the 8th and now the ninth floor CoLab has become something unique and kind of special (a little corny I know).  We believe collaboration is something that defines as most, and is evident in the number of collaborations and teams born out of CoLab.  It might not be Independents Hall or Citizen Space, but I think we would be wrong to just completely model ourselves after other coworking spaces around the world, and not let CoLab grow into something of its own.  It has not been perfect from the start, but has been growing and improving on a lot of aspects (including the Internet thanks to Tim Howe) because of the fact the suites pay the bills, which then allows us to have more pull to make CoLab better  for the community.

Over the last year and a half CoLab has developed quite a few anchor tenants, some working out of the coworking space on the 6th and others have taken to the suites.  Right now CoLab has about 25 small creative and tech companies working from here, with 40 plus individuals that are a part of CoLab.  I am not trying to convince everyone to work from CoLab, I understand that it is not right for all, but I definitely would love to see “a unity of coworking” and for all to come and be a part of CoLab at some level.  As Eric Marden said, anchor members are the key element and look forward to seeing who else will step up and help the growth of the coworking / tech scene.

-John T.

Ryan Price

Mar 27, 2010, 9:11:51 AM3/27/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I would not want to be as far East as Forsyth. Cherry, or
Minnesota make a lot more sense.

Also, Urban Think.

Peace,
Ryan Price
rpr...@ryanpricemedia.com
@liberatr
407-484-8528

FloridaCreatives.com
Orlando Happy Hour: Apr 19th @ Crooked Bayou
Next Likemind: Apr 16th @ UrbanThink!

BarCampOrlando.org
Saturday, April 3rd, 9-6 @ Wall St Plaza
Flash Mob Pillow Fight to follow @pillowlando

Ryan Price

Mar 27, 2010, 9:30:56 AM3/27/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
John,

Thank you for being a passionate contributor. If we had more people like you, and all the others on this list, Central Florida would be even more unstoppable.

I hear what you're saying about the value of the suites, and the collaboration going on, but there's at least one thing that's broken about CoLab for me. As it stands, CoLab can't become disconnected from the Angebuilt building. That introduces serious constraints on the kinds of things that can happen there.

At the same time, I believe constraints are good for creativity, and that culture has the power to trump constraints. So, let's see some signs of a great culture. From what you're saying, all the right pieces and people are there, and the opportunity to make something more tangible is more real than ever. That's exciting.

Coworking is not all about movable walls, big open lofts, and free-flowing coffee; it just models itself that way very often. I can't agree with you more on that point. So stop drawing differences between Stardust and CoLab, and look for the common ground.

One solution to the hard connection of CoLab to Angebuilt could be this: think outside the box. Maybe the most effective way to sell people on the idea of the space is not just having more events there (though I think free days and lunch and learn should continue). Maybe a dozen people from CoLab should come down to Stardust one Tuesday, and Boston Coffee the next, and so on. Think of it as a "work field trip" if you want.

Why? Get people to realize that it's not the place that makes CoLab, it's the people. Lots of corporations handle this with a company retreat. Orlando entrepreneur Ted Murphy is famous for his retreats and scavenger hunts with MindComet and now IZEA. Maybe ask him to help you plan some events, or bring a few sheet cakes for people to dive into. Whatever it takes to help people come together.