Buying the Coworking.com domain name

Ryan Price

Feb 16, 2010, 1:51:26 PM2/16/10
to Coworking-Orlando
Hello again,

The big news this week in the International / Global Coworking community is around the Coworking.com domain name.

Apparently a very nice man in Europe owns /owned it, and he contacted the Coworking list to give us an opportunity to purchase it, lest it fall into the hands of some commercial interest.

Alex Hillman of Indy Hall in Philadelphia (he was here last year at CoLab) took it upon himself to collect funds (about $7000) from existing spaces and coworking groups. There is an opportunity for Orlando to support and buy in to this cause with some financial support.

I think we could get orlando.coworking.com and secure that (for all time) as the official place to get coworking information in Central Florida. I'd like to take up a collection and make a donation on behalf of the Orlando Coworking community.

Here are the benefits, as quoted from Alex's post on the Global list:

The wiki, blog, and google group will be aliased appropriately from subdomains of the coworking.com domain. Coworking.com will contain a home page explaining those properties and their contents, as well as some curated press links that will be user submitted. Additional ideas are welcome, but this is where I'd like to start!

In the last 24 hours, I've kicked off a pledge of $500 from my own pocket (IndyHall still has some debt to pay back from our move last spring and we consider that priority), and have been followed by the following pledges:

$500 - Alex Hillman/IndyHall
$500 - Tara Hunt/Citizen Space
$250 - Felicity Chapman/Cubes & Crayons
$250 - Steven Heath/AltSpace
$1000 - Susan Evans & Jacob Sayles/Office Nomads
$500 - Chris Messina
$500 - Patrick Tanguay/Station C

That means we've been pledged $3500, just about halfway to the $7k mark we need (including paypal fees and impending wire fees). That's enough for me to transfer 50% of the asking price to the sellers to begin the transfer to us.

Now...what are these contributors getting for their hard earned money? I've come up with a very simple structure to encourage consistent contribution amounts:

• Any contributor of $250 or more will have lifetime (of the domain) access to a subdomain of their choice (http://yourchoice.coworking.com), so long as the content of the subdomain falls within the values of the Coworking Community Manifesto:

Community
Collaboration
Openness
Diversity
Sustainability
see Citizen Space and Station-C for citation of what those values mean

• Any contributor of $500 or more will get a subdomain of their choice as well, and additionally up to 5 email addresses hosted at a Google for your Domain account set up for coworking.com

• Any contributor of $1000 will get a subdomain, 5 e-mail addresses, and a "sponsor" link in the footer of the coworking.com home page linking to the coworking community/space website of their choice.

No single contributor over $1000 will be accepted to give enough fair chances to contributors across the community.

There's no tricks, no scams, no funny business.

Disclosure: I will be maintaining the domain name and its DNS records on behalf of the community until, at some point in the future, there is an entity that supports this community that can take over. I will also be donating web hosting, again, until an entity that supports this community takes over.

Peace,
Ryan Price
@liberatr

FloridaCreatives.com
Orlando Happy Hour: Feb 15th @ Crooked Bayou
Next Likemind: Feb 19th @ Drunken Monkey

FL DrupalCamp: Feb 20th + 21st

Alexander Rudloff

Feb 16, 2010, 1:54:55 PM2/16/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm game. Ryan, hit me up directly.

Raines Cohen

Feb 16, 2010, 2:16:35 PM2/16/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Ryan -

Check the follow-up on that thread. The original goal has been exceeded, so fundraising has been suspended until after the transfer takes place and plans are organized; no additional donations are being accepted at this time. You can go ahead and collect pledges, but I would advise against collecting funds until details are worked out.

Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach

Ryan Price

Feb 16, 2010, 3:08:36 PM2/16/10
to coworkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Raines,

I saw the follow-ups shortly after I pressed "send". I had planned on sending this message out yesterday, but I was busy meeting with the space owner of a new coworking space that I'm hoping will materialize in Orlando this year.

It's a great story - she found my numerous coworking blog posts, and reached out to me. It's looking good, she's coming to our Jelly(ish) thing today to meet some of the regular crowd. We'll be having an info meeting sometime this month. I'm excited.

I don't know yet if I'm coming to SXSW, but if I can afford it, I'd love to talk to you again. Thanks for all your support.

Peace,
Ryan Price
@liberatr

FloridaCreatives.com
Orlando Happy Hour: Feb 15th @ Crooked Bayou
Next Likemind: Feb 19th @ Drunken Monkey

FL DrupalCamp: Feb 20th + 21st

Eric Marden

Mar 1, 2010, 7:30:25 PM3/1/10
to Coworking-Orlando
In case you are interested, the coworking.com source code is available
for forking and contribution on github:
http://github.com/alexknowshtml/coworking.com