Co-Working and Childcare Inquiry

Amanda Manger

May 9, 2013, 11:40:29 PM5/9/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

 I have emailed some of you directly, but am hoping to get more feedback through this group.  I have already had a lot of fun browsing your posts.  My name is Amanda Manger.  I am hoping to open a childcare facility within an existing co-working space and I would greatly appreciate your insight and help with a few questions.  I have been working in the field of early childhood education for over 10 years now and have my  B.S in Psychology from Dartmouth College and my M.S.Ed from Bank Street College, specializing in ECE (N-5).  Since 2000, I have worked as a childcare and preschool administrator, teacher of children 0-5, and child development professor of young adults, both in the States and abroad.  My family currently lives in Ethiopia, but will be relocating to San Diego this June.  I am passionate about the field of early childhood education and believe a valuable early learning experience gives children the foundation for later success in all areas of life.

 I believe that at the heart of a valuable childcare center is the idea that our mission is to make families’ daily experiences easier and to increase their quality of life.  This is why I think a childcare facility and a co-working site would be such a natural fit.  As I mentioned, I am hoping to start a childcare facility within an existing co-working space.  However, while I know a lot about childcare, I am still learning the business and functions of the co-working model and the best way to merge the two.  As I begin my market research, I would love the opportunity to communicate with you more.

 Specifically, I have a few questions, but would love any insights that you have.  My specific questions are:

  1. 1.    Can you tell me a little bit about the process you have gone through bringing your business to fruition?
  2. 2.   Have there been any obstacles to including childcare within the co-working facility?
  3. 3.    How did you decide on the specifics of your childcare facility (i.e. hours, price, target number of children, room divisions)?
  4. 4.    Any advice on what you think should definitely be included or not included to best serve the co-working demographic?
  5. 5.     Any other advice or thoughts?

 Thank you so much in advance for your time and effort.  Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide you.  I am available via email or would also love to have a Skype or phone conversation if that is easier.

Sincerely,

Amanda Manger

Marieke Hensel

May 10, 2013, 8:45:51 PM5/10/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda,

You aren't far from me. I'm in Fullerton, North Orange County.
If you like it, you can come over and see our space and see how our coworking is doing. We have been offering coworking since 2008 and have 15-20 members. We opened PLAY this year and slowly introduce Labs, but don't offer daycare 0-5 years old. I hope to offer that when we grow to a bigger building with outdoor space, for now, we don't have that.

1. Start hosting meetings, meetups. And do a lot of networking with the right audience. Not everybody is open to coworking.
2. Yes, our obstacle is outdoor space, and me personally, I didn't take any child care classes, which is a requirement in California to be the owner of a child care facility.
3. Survey, ask our coworkers, we have 10+ kids among our coworkers, so that's a great start. And then keep making calculations of what could work.
4. Depends on your audience and your competition. :-)
5. none

Good luck!

:-)
Marieke

--
Marieke Hensel
http://twitter.com/hensel

1-877-747-FAME (3263)

Orange you ready to improve your sales? Receive Branding Personality's newsletter full of juicy social media news, events, and special offers. http://eepurl.com/o19nP

Amy @ Plug & Play

May 13, 2013, 10:56:17 AM5/13/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
  1. 1.    Research, research, research and network, network, network. Generate advanced interest.
  2. 2.   It's expensive (to build and to operate) and the insurance is expensive.
  3. 3.    Competition, market research, breakeven points?
  4. 4.    Fast wi-fi for sure. Otherwise, check out what your competition is offering

Amanda Manger

May 14, 2013, 2:03:16 AM5/14/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com, mar...@hensel.nl
Hi Marieke,

Thanks for your response.  It's so much fun to hear about different places that are working.  It seems like space will definitely be a challenge and a deciding factor.  I am hoping to pair with someone who already has a co-working space up and running, which, I'm sure will have it's advantages and disadvantages. However, I think finding somewhere that has adequate space to get licensed could be a bit tricky.  It sounds like you have a big percentage of your members who are interested in childcare- that's really cool.  Can you tell me a little about your Labs? That sounds interesting.

My family and I will be in San Diego starting mid-June.  Would it be possible for me to come visit your place sometime over the summer?

Again, thanks so much for your time and insight!
Amanda
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to coworking-and-childcare+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Amanda Manger

May 14, 2013, 2:04:07 AM5/14/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amy,
Thanks for your response.  I loved looking at your website. Your place looks amazing.  I am also a big Reggio fan, so it's cool to see you using Reggio as part of a co-working space, not just for traditional preschools. If you have time, can you tell me how you found your breakeven points?  I am wondering how many children I'll have to serve and for what hours to make the program financially feasible. Ideally, I would like to pair with a co-working space already up and running and possibly use their space at a reduced rate while providing the childcare service to their members. However, I think finding a co-working facility that has the extra space could be a bit of a challenge.

Again, thanks so much for your time and insights!

Sincerely,
Amanda

Bean Work Play Cafe

May 17, 2013, 1:23:37 PM5/17/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda, Here are some notes which I am happy to share...of course, all this advice is hindsight as Bean Work Play Cafe is closing May 30 (new owners will convert to preschool.)   I still very much support the idea of coworking and childcare and I'm confident the members of this group will figure it out as a profitable venture!

1 - Took about 5 years (3 part-time, 2 full-time) from initial idea to opening doors.  We surveyed our target demographic, worked with our local SBDC office, had an advisory board, marketing team, etc.  I say definitely get a mentoring team in place because it can be daunting to do on your own.

2 - Yes, please research requirements with local public planning departments as they very by state, county, district, city.  If you could go into a space already zoned and built for child-based business that may help with both build out costs and zoning approval process.

3 - Research, survey, consult with local childcare agencies about childcare requirements.  Also, think about the srvice lifecycle of your target client and consider the kind of volume you'll need to generate considering the temporary nature of their childcare and coworking needs.  The unpredictability of the childcare demand and memberships was a challenge.  Find ways to have a steady revenue stream (I like the idea of a preschool offering and B2B model.)

4 - re: price, be confident in your rates and don't be shy about pricing with sufficient profit in mind as it will cost you to deliver quality care and to have good staff 'on call.'  You will also need to account for times when your numbers will dip for seasonal or other reasons.

5 - Raise as much money as you can while you can.  The business can include unexpected seasonal dips.  You will be competing with nonprofit care providers which can charge a lower fee since they will not have the high overhead costs you will.   This type of business is like two in one and requires a lot $ for a quality buildout, meeting local requirements, and a real marketing budget for creating awareness of a fairly new concept.  Also, delivering quality care will require teacher development which has its costs, both tangible and intangible.

Good luck to you and everyone else in the start up mode!  I wish I had this group to learn from when I started!

Adela
Bean Work Play Cafe

Adela Yelton, Founder & Proprietor

Bean Work Play Cafe

Ph. 404.828.0810

http://www.beanworkplaycafe.com

Amanda Manger

May 30, 2013, 2:45:26 AM5/30/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com, mar...@hensel.nl
Hi Marieke,
I am trying to figure out a little bit more about my expenses on the childcare side.  Can you tell me what type of insurance you needed in California and how much it costs? also- i am assuming my major expenses will be rent, insurance, and paying any employees.  Does this sound correct to you?

thanks so much,
Amanda