Things to do for the coming week

Suraj

Jul 8, 2012, 10:17:49 AM7/8/12
to Covalence
Hello all,

I have updated the document, and we'll be working for 5 days as of
now, I'll add the time table for Saturday in due time. I've also
mentioned what each person should teach each day, this will keep
changing every week depending on our progress.
And english language teachers, please forget kannada for the amount of
time that you teach there. You can also text from the english textbook
that they already have, that way they can relate to it better. We'll
switch over to other books like Tinkle a week later.
Any thoughts? .

I saw Swathi's english module, and I thought that was good enough for
us to go ahead in that. Here's the link to that:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B45Y0fFG_d4yZGEyNmNjNTYtZWI3Ni00NmUzLWI5YmYtMmYxZmNiNDFiMjlk/edit

Please use this as a reference.

All the best!

Suraj

Jul 8, 2012, 10:18:37 AM7/8/12
to Covalence

Swati Vasishta

Jul 9, 2012, 8:29:07 AM7/9/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
Okay! Me and Sindhuja will go tomorrow and continue what we did last week. We made them play word building with a li'l alteration. With every word they also had to frame a simple sentence and it was a boys v/s girls thing and all of them enjoyed it but also did learn new things. I thought it was more effective than the normal sentence and grammar lessons. Let's keep experimenting on new methods and see which will sustain.
Regards,

       Swati Vasishta

Suraj

Jul 9, 2012, 10:52:54 AM7/9/12
to Covalence

It is more effective than teaching grammer, I agree, but we have to
ensure that there is some sort of continuity. You could design a game
around the had/has words (which come first in your english speaking
modules). Tell you what, if you can discuss with Nagashree and Nitya
(or just put in this group), what you would want them to do in their
turn. We don't want to end up doing different things at the same time,
do we?

Nagashree Sheshadri

Jul 9, 2012, 12:11:15 PM7/9/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
Its actually great to come up with games to make the learning process more interesting, but we'll have to ensure that games and learning go hand in hand. i think we'll have to make word-building part of every class so that it helps in building in vocabulary as well, we'll start encouraging them to construct simple sentences with the help of pictures: say that depict action being done. moreover if worksheets pertaining to the day's agenda are made: it would be great, just like the ones made for teachers training..but they must be really simple.

turn. We don't want to end up doing different tthings at the same time,
do we?

--
Thank you, on behalf of the children, for being part of the "Covalence" group.

--
yours
Nagashree Sheshadri

Meghana Chaturvedi

Jul 16, 2012, 4:23:32 AM7/16/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
Hi, what's the agenda for this week?

Suraj

Jul 16, 2012, 10:37:41 AM7/16/12
to Covalence
Hey,

I didn't think there was need for an agenda. You and vijesh do baraha
anyways, and that'll go on for a while. There are 2 batches handling
computers, and i'll discuss with them as to what we are doing.
Meanwhile, the english guys seem to be doing some kind of activity-
based learning, so i thought its best to leave them alone. ;)

Swati Vasishta

Meghana Chaturvedi

Jul 17, 2012, 1:08:10 AM7/17/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
Done :)

Nagashree Sheshadri

Jul 20, 2012, 11:37:27 AM7/20/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone
we had a great time at the school yesterday, we could interact pretty much: we could get a few to read stories, fill in the blanks with the right words.
we have found that, the some kids are proficient enough to catch up with stuff very quickly. but we also found that many are unable to read simple words: stringing alphabets to form words, so our basic focus should be on getting them write, pronounce, use, and meaning of the words in day-to-day life. we need a very simple, yet efficient design to make this possible. please give your suggestions.
Nagashree Sheshadri
yours
Nagashree Sheshadri

Nikhil Baliga

Jul 21, 2012, 3:25:19 AM7/21/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
I have a suggestion. I have had a similar experience with them in that, some are very good while others are below average. So, if you are trying to get the below-average students up to speed, the rest will get bored and uneasy. So, it would be great if you can divide the students into two groups (without letting them know on what basis they are being divided, of course) and take classes separately... This will facilitate teaching of basics to below-average students while going to a little advanced level to the brighter. I am assuming this is a possibility - Do let me know your opinions

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Baliga

--
Check out Artistick at http://cartoonsbynikhilbaliga.blogspot.com/

Nagashree Sheshadri

Jul 27, 2012, 1:32:30 AM7/27/12
to cova...@googlegroups.com
yes, this is actually a great option to think about. but since all of them are of the same age...we must insist on continuous classes both for english and computer science, and a very detailed planning has to be done. is it possible to prepare some study material right from the basics, without stressing the kids much. i think the best idea to engage the groups separately while the rest carry on with what they have learnt. There is one more idea: those of the kids who learn fast can teach others everyday, this would rekindle interest and a spontaneity for learning.
Nagashree Sheshadri