Deployement stuck at "Building PyCrypto"

Roger TATOUD

Apr 1, 2017, 4:18:41 PM4/1/17
to Course Builder Forum
Hi

I created a project follwoing instruction
Double clicked on "windows_deploy.bat"

the follwoing happens

Removing GCB_ALLOW_STATIC_SERV set to ''
Sourced as: './scripts/common.sh'
Windows install; skipping test-related downloads.
Ensuring runtime folder /home/Roger/coursebuilder_resources_1_11_001/runtime
Using GAE SDK 1.9.40 from /home/Roger/coursebuilder_resources_1_11_001/runtime/google_appengine
Installing PyCrypto (This needs to be compiled so it matches
   your operating system)
Building PyCrypto

then nothing for ever...

help welcome

vb

Message has been deleted

Roger

Apr 1, 2017, 4:44:34 PM4/1/17
to Course Builder Forum
Update

after "for ever" this happens, which is weird since I work on a PC...

Compilation error building pycrypto-2.6.1. Please ensure a C
compiler is installed and functional on your system. On OS X, the most likely
cause of this problem is that you don't have the XCode Command Line Tools
installed. To fix this, run

  $ xco/usr/bin/bash: Exit 255.
de-select --install

and follow the instructions that appear, then re-run this command.

Mike Gainer

Apr 3, 2017, 12:24:57 PM4/3/17
to course-bui...@googlegroups.com
The OS X message is generic, in that it's displayed for all build failures; that's just the platform where we had the most trouble at that step.

We can try just lying to the rest of the install script to tell it that this step succeeded, or we can try to get it working.  As I recall, the PyCrypto module is not required to just deploy.  Thus, let's start with the convenient lie, as that's easiest.  You should have a directory

/home/Roger/coursebuilder_resources_1_11_001/runtime/pycrypto-2.6.1

That may very well be in a slightly different place from your perspective; the above is the path for Cygwin.  For Windows, it's probably something a lot like  C:\users\Roger\....  rather than /home/Roger

In that directory, please create a file named .gcb_install_succeeded (yes, with the leading ".").  Doesn't matter what's in the file -- it can be completely empty.  It just needs to exist.  Once that's done, re-run the windows_deploy.bat file.

If that works, you're done.  (Yay!)  If that doesn't work, then things get more complex.  Start the Cygwin shell (there should now be a Cygwin launcher on your Start menu).  Issue the commands:

cd /home/Roger/coursebuilder_resources_1_11_001/runtime/pycrypto-2.6.1
python setup.py build

And then when that dies, please copy-paste everything including your typed-in commands and send it along so I can maybe figure out what's going awry.

Roger

Apr 3, 2017, 1:38:13 PM4/3/17
to Course Builder Forum
Thx Mike

After re-reading the instructions on the website I realised that Python 2.7 was required whilst I have Python 3.6
So i used another machine with the correct Python, and it did not work any better.
In fact it stopped at the step to install the App engine with an "exit 23" message
So I decided to move onto something different and I have deploy Chamilo instead...
I may go back to Google later on

but many thx for your help.

very best
roger

Mike Gainer

Apr 3, 2017, 2:29:11 PM4/3/17
to course-bui...@googlegroups.com
You may also want to take a look at these customer-contributed instructions for deploying CB using a VM - far simpler.  Our Windows support is known to be problematic.

David Hamilton

Mar 24, 2020, 3:38:44 PM3/24/20
to Course Builder Forum
Adding the empty file ".gcb_install_succeeded" to the /pycrypto-2.6.1 folder was successful in getting me past the PyCrypto error.  I had previously down-graded Python to 2.7 in response to other posts, but that did not change the PyCrypto error message.  Thanks for your help!