Newbie question

darin connors

Dec 28, 2018, 2:48:48 PM12/28/18
to Course Builder Forum
Hello everyone. Please excuse the Newbie question.

I am really new to google course builder. I am working on a project to evaluate and develop an online learning tool. While searching for online learning, Google Course Builder came up so I decided to give it a try.

I followed the instructions. Well I thought I had. I downloaded Course Builder and unzipped it to a c:\coursebuilder directory.

I tried running the windows_start_local.bat file and only got an error.

"SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.
The system cannot execute the specified program.
The system cannot find the path specified."

After reviewing a number of articles/videos, etc (information overload) I stumbled across this post https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/course-builder-forum/kj0yHlw693c .
I was able to get to an online version but it doesn't seem to have any correlation to the c:\coursebuilder directory that I installed.

Am I missing something? I am hoping to do some course design work while I am offline, is this possible?

Darin.

darin connors

Dec 28, 2018, 3:19:45 PM12/28/18
to Course Builder Forum
Sorry, I am working on Win 8.1

Adam Feldman

Jan 7, 2019, 12:24:22 AM1/7/19
to course-bui...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darin,

Happy new year!

Course Builder generally is deployed and runs in the cloud (on Google App Engine), so you wouldn't be able to able to edit extensively offline.

The normal course is to either download the zip (e.g., to your c:\coursebuilder directory) and then deploy to App Engine, or else deploying directly from the cloud as per the instructions you referenced (in this latter case, the files you downloaded/unzipped are not used at all).

In either case, though, you're going to want to be online and editing your actual course content in the browser.  Of course, any writing of content or creation of images could be done offline, then added to Course Builder once you're online.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Patrick Lyons

Mar 11, 2020, 3:50:03 AM3/11/20
to Course Builder Forum
Hi Darin,

Are you someone who I can contact with questions? I just posted one in this group and need an answer in order to proceed - for some reason I am unable to click in any of the content editors to add text (or HTML for that matter). Can you please help with this?

Best,
Patrick
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to course-builder-forum+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Patrick Lyons

Mar 11, 2020, 3:50:38 AM3/11/20
to Course Builder Forum
Apologies my message should have said Adam, not Darin.

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 12:50:03 AM UTC-7, Patrick Lyons wrote:
Hi Adam,

darin connors

Mar 11, 2020, 8:04:52 AM3/11/20
to course-bui...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, sorry I’m not.
I’m a newbie as well and havent managed to get as far as you have yet!

Sent from my Gmail Account.

Patrick Lyons

Mar 11, 2020, 12:43:18 PM3/11/20
to course-bui...@googlegroups.com
No worries! Have you been able to find Adam Feldman’s email address?