Courant News Setup

1 view

Neal Poole

Aug 3, 2009, 6:18:59 PM8/3/09
to courantnews
Hey,

As a Python newbie, I'm finding it really hard to set up the
environment for Courant News. The courant-boot.py is great for setting
up the virtualenv itself, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to
configure Apache to actually execute the code properly. Through a
combination of Django install instructions, Google, and trial and
error, I've managed to get Python executing, but I've been running
into issues with settings and URLs. Does anybody know of a good
tutorial that explains how to do a setup like this properly?

Thanks,
Neal

Max Cutler

Aug 3, 2009, 8:16:56 PM8/3/09
to courantnews
Hey Neal,

In the past I've used http://lethain.com/entry/2009/feb/13/the-django-and-ubuntu-intrepid-almanac/
as a base in setting up my servers. I'm actually currently in the
process of writing a script that will set everything up from a stock
Ubuntu install in preparation for deploying Courant for the YDN. I'd
be happy to pass that along when it's done (probably in about 2-3
weeks), but in the meantime I'd be more than happy to help you set up
your server manually.

The key points are that you want to deploy using mod_wsgi on Apache,
and I usually put Nginx in front of that to server media files. I'm
currently at work, but when I get home I can post some sample config
files that I use on my dev machine.

Max

Neal Poole

Aug 3, 2009, 8:24:35 PM8/3/09
to coura...@googlegroups.com
Hey Max,

That tutorial looks really helpful: thanks for the link! I'll play
around with this on my server and let you know how everything goes.

Neal