Is it bad to have lots of databases on a single server?

Security Radar

Jul 18, 2011, 2:45:48 PM7/18/11
to CouchRest
I have reading various postings about RoR and CouchDB but to be honest
my mind has become a mess of confused thoughts. I am loving the
CouchRestModel stuff and I am trying to create a system where each
user has their own database but I need to pointers to sanity and best
practices.
I have seen comments about how it is going to be bad to have several
thousand user databases on a server. I want to replicate each
database to each users set of endpoints?
My Question:
Why is it bad to have a large quantity of databases?
It is really bad?
Is there a better way to do this?
Should I go back to the old world of relational DBs

Samuel Lown

Jul 19, 2011, 6:37:17 AM7/19/11
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't think there is any problem at all with having one database per user, indeed, I already do this in some of my projects. The database proxying makes it almost trivial to implement in Rails.

If having too many users on one server turns out to be a problem, move half of them to another, easy.

Migrations, i.e. changes in properties can be a bit more complicated as you'd need to go through each user's database and perform the modification, but its not too difficult.

Couch Rest Model should handle changes in the design documents for each database. A cache is used to avoid performing loads of GET requests to check for updates, but it can be disabled as long as you know your design docs are all up to date.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
sam

www.samlown.com
www.autofiscal.com