Problem with cluster after upgrade to 3.3.0 from 3.2.2

1 view

Willem van der Westhuizen

Jan 7, 2023, 4:45:47 AM1/7/23
to us...@couchdb.apache.org
Hi

We have upgraded our cluster to the new release 3.3.0. But Now the
cluster nodes cannot see each other. we have tested the erlang kernel
connect options as suggested in the documentation, and that works. So it
seems it something with our configuration of the cluster nodes. We use
the configuration -name
cou...@kwantucouchdb04.kwantu.net<mailto:cou...@kwantucouchdb04.kwantu.net>,
and it worked correctly under 3.2.2. Are there different issues in the
new erlang version that we should be concerned about?

Any guidance would be appreciated. One issue that we noted is that
(/usr/lib64/erlang/erts-5.10.4/bin/epmd) the erlang daemon runs with
version 5.10.4 but in the installation folder its erts-12.3.2.7.Would
that be a problem?

Regards

--
Willem van der Westhuizen
+27 82 9200718

Willem van der Westhuizen

Jan 7, 2023, 4:51:21 AM1/7/23
to us...@couchdb.apache.org
In the message below the -name cou...@kwantucouchdb04.kwantu.net
without the <xx>

Nick Vatamaniuc

Jan 8, 2023, 2:19:05 PM1/8/23
to us...@couchdb.apache.org
Hi Willem,

The different versions of epmd could be an issue. You can try killing
(stopping) the older epmd and seeing if CouchDB will start the newer
epmd version from its release.

3.3.0 packages are built with Erlang 24, while 3.2.2 were using Erlang
23. Erlang 23 should be able to talk to Erlang 24 and vice-versa.
Also, Erlang 23 is still supported, so if that turns out to be the
issue, you can try building CouchDB from source.

Another thing to watch for is that erlang node cookies match on all
nodes. See https://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/setup/cluster.html#cluster-set-up
for more details.

Also, after discovering a few replication issues in 3.3.0 we'll
release 3.3.1 shortly. But I don't think those issues would affect
inter-node connectivity in a cluster, so it's most likely unrelated.
But you should hold-off for the new release if you use replication in
production.

Cheers,
-Nick

Willem van der Westhuizen