Large production Couchapps?

Mark Deibert

Oct 23, 2013, 10:55:15 AM10/23/13
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Are there any large/busy internet sites in production that are Couchapps? I need to make a recommendation to a customer wanting a new website and I'm not sure if I could/should recommend a Couchapp/CouchDb or a separate web app with a Couchbase backend. How much traffic could a Couchapp/CouchDb handle before it fails under load because compaction or replication can't keep up?

Dominique Sandoz

Oct 23, 2013, 12:13:37 PM10/23/13
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately i do not have examples of big websites but my personal experience:

Depends on your "website". Couchapps for full blown websites that have some interaction, accounts, media, ..., i have made the experience, that a Couchapp alone is in every case just not powerful enough. Or I better say, sooner or later you want functionality a couchapp/couchb itself does not offer because you want to use it for something it was not made for.

E.g. if you want to have image resizing/any media processing Couchapp does not help you. You will need other services. And after my experience, you get very quickly very far with pure Couchapps but sooner or later you will regret not having an application layer in your stack.

But couchapps are great in terms of development speed and simplicity. Thus they are a very good fit for data oriented applications where its really about displaying the data from the db; e.g. monitors, data visualization interfaces, a "simple" blog, etc.

Using a couchapp only means, that your application will always be capable of what couchdb can do on the serverside; no media processing, no elaborated user management, in fact no real processing at all. It is a database. But it you find a fit within these limitations, it is sure a great idea to use a couchapp as your web application, it gives you speed and ease in development and CouchDb can scale pretty wonderful even with big data sets or a many requests.

El 23.10.2013, a las 17:42, Mark Deibert <mark.d...@gmail.com> escribió:

Are there any large/busy internet sites in production that are Couchapps? I need to make a recommendation to a customer wanting a new website and I'm not sure if I could/should recommend a Couchapp/CouchDb or a separate web app with a Couchbase backend. How much traffic could a Couchapp/CouchDb handle before it fails under load because compaction or replication can't keep up?

Alexander Shorin

Oct 23, 2013, 12:18:13 PM10/23/13
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark!

I have around 54 couchapps (I follow couchapp-per-doctype policy +
couchapps for service needs). Each app is quite complex: it aims to
provide both user (html pages) and programming interface (json api) to
the data, so every design functions was used. However, there is not
much highload I have for it: max ~200 GET per sec, max ~50 POST/PUT
per sec, avg ~70 GET per sec and ~10 POST/PUT per sec. I didn't have
anything at frontend, just CouchDB with Couchapps and this works fine
for my case.

You may be interested for Node.JS npm statistics:
http://www.mail-archive.com/us...@couchdb.apache.org/msg20774.html
Afaik, todays it successfully passed mark of 1K requests per second and growing.

So, don't worry about traffic - CouchDB is fine with it. Your should
worry about two things: often updates and application design. Often
updates leads to bigger database size, heavy disk space usage and
needs to be compacted in time. Application design is more important
thing since in case of success it may dramatically improve your
experience with CouchDB and make your application be nice and
effective.

Sure, you might be aware about existed CouchDB issues and heard about
some others. Sometimes s-t happens, sometimes it doesn't, nothing is
perfect. Setup monitoring serivce (like monit), receive notifications
when anything goes wrong and soon will be and you'll be fine (however,
that's common advice for whatever solution you take).

All this is about CouchDB. I have no experience with Couchbase to say
anything about it.

--

Dominique

Oct 23, 2013, 12:19:08 PM10/23/13
to couc...@googlegroups.com
also: I made some websites, that were Couchapp only. In almost every case I had to set up other decoupled services on the server for some needs - which is perfectly fine, as CouchDb was developed to be used in a decoupled environment. And today I use CouchDb in almost every bigger project, with an application layer and also lots of Couchapps to easliy manage design docs for different views and transformations of my data which I use later on in my application layer.