RTTOV in COSP2

dustin...@noaa.gov

Apr 25, 2018, 5:25:34 PM4/25/18
to COSP users group
Dear COSP Users,

Recently there has been some discussion about the future of RTTOV in COSP2.

COSP2 does not support versions of RTTOV beyond 9.3, released in October 2008. More recent versions of RTTOV are available, v12.2 was released late last year, but it turns out that a modest amount of work is needed for COSP to interface with these more recent versions of RTTOV. Going forward we have two options: 1) Drop support for RTTOV in COSP2 or 2) Update COSP2 to interface with more recent versions of RTTOV.

Before making any decisions it would be great to get a sense of who uses COSP configured with RTTOV? And if so, what version of RTTOV are you using?

Regards,
Dustin Swales

Spangehl Thomas

Apr 27, 2018, 9:49:09 AM4/27/18
to cosp...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dustin,

we are currently using COSP with RTTOV 11.3. We would like to contribute to COSP2 so it would be great if COSP2 would interface with RTTOV in the future.

Best regards,

Thomas

Apr 27, 2018, 1:55:19 PM4/27/18
to cosp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dustin,

I’ve made an RTTOV interface for allsky mw calculation using RTTOV_SCATT (both allsky and clrsky Tb is returned) and version v12.1.
The interface is tested and return good results. The RTTOV version is also able to ingest TELSEM (12 months) and used over land areas. The interface is designed to run inside a MPI miljö.
I’ve not added this interface to the COSP2 setup but this is easily done. I have a manuscript that describes this new RTTOV interface and will make this interface available.
This manuscript is currently making the rounds among the coauthors.

Cheers,
/M

Roger Saunders

Dec 3, 2018, 10:37:31 AM12/3/18
to COSP users group
Hi! Just discovered this post which is relevant to me. The EUMETSAT NWP SAF has funded an interface which has been made to COSP2 for the latest RTTOV version 12 and this was completed in the summer of 2018. There are a number of users of RTTOV in COSP. The challenge will be in the future as the NWP SAF resources have been squeezed so there are no plans to update the interface to RTTOVv13 planned for release in 2020.

Happy to discuss this further with interested parties,

Roger Saunders
@sat_metman

Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro

Dec 3, 2018, 10:56:40 AM12/3/18
to cosp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roger, thanks for this.

I think I mentioned this in a different thread, but just to clarify that there are clear-sky interfaces in COSP2 for RTTOV9 and 11. However, since RTTOV is independent from COSP, these interfaces are not routinely tested during the COSP development, so we cannot ensure that they will work with the latest revisions, although the effort to make them work should be minimal.

Alejandro

Roger Saunders

Dec 3, 2018, 11:21:20 AM12/3/18
to COSP users group
Thanks Alejandro

What about the latest RTTOV-12 interface which Dave Rundle provided?

Roger

Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro

Dec 3, 2018, 11:28:49 AM12/3/18
to cosp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roger,

I am afraid I am not aware of that interface.

As with any new development since the release of COSP2, the inclusion of the new interface will have to go through the standard process, as described in the working practices:

https://github.com/CFMIP/COSPv2.0/wiki/Working-practices-for-COSP-development

Roger Saunders

Dec 4, 2018, 3:55:51 AM12/4/18
to cosp...@googlegroups.com