Python

Pau Garcia Quiles

Feb 23, 2021, 6:18:10 AM2/23/21
to cosmopolitan cosmonauts
Hello

Hackweek is coming to us SUSE employees in exactly 1 month and I thought building a Python APE would be a cool project. Problem is I have no idea where to start. Could you please give me some pointers?

More details of what I am trying to achieve here:

Thank you and REALLY COOL PROJECT.

Justine Tunney

Feb 23, 2021, 12:42:42 PM2/23/21
to Pau Garcia Quiles, cosmopolitan cosmonauts
I definitely want Python to be available as an APE binary. Is salt-minion the only thing you need to be an APE binary? Is there a design doc explaining its capabilities? Looking at the salt-minion code it looks like the one big thing it'd need that Cosmopolitan currently doesn't have is threads, since right now we're using fork() for everything since it's the most portable system interface for multiprocessing.

Right now Cosmopolitan is doing very primitive test orchestration for `make test` which does:

for test in $(find o -name \*_test.com); do
  for os in freebsd openbsd netbsd rhel7 rhel5 xnu win7 win10; do
    scp $test $os:
    ssh $os ./$test
  done
done

It takes a few seconds to run a few hundred tests since we use an optimization for spawning runitd.com ape binaries on each system.

Pau Garcia Quiles

Feb 24, 2021, 10:10:21 AM2/24/21
to Justine Tunney, cosmopolitan cosmonauts
Hello

While not feature-complete, salt-ssh is an acceptable alternative in many cases. It uses an SSH connection and Python on the remote system, and apparently no threads:

OTOH, is implementing threads in your roadmap?

Thank you

--
Pau Garcia Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org