Two new PhD positions available on AutoML & medicine

Frank Hutter

Jun 14, 2023, 11:20:06 AM6/14/23
to coseal
Hi friends at COSEAL,

I have 2 new #AutoML PhD openings in our new Collaborative Research Center (Sonderforschungsbereich) „Small Data“, a major collaboration between the Freiburg university clinic and the Freiburg AI researchers, with ~30 PhD students: https://www.smalldata-initiative.de
Positions would start (earliest) October 1st, and hiring will remain open until the positions are filled. The first application deadline is already June 18, so if you have strong and interested students, please let them know to apply through the system (https://www.smalldata-initiative.de/career/application-process/) or drop me an email.

The first PhD position is on (meta-)learning how to best finetune large pretrained networks, with an application to EEG data: https://www.smalldata-initiative.de/projects/b01/
This is a follow-up of our first competitive DL method for EEG (cited >1800 times).

The second PhD position is on meta-learning how to regularize deep nets to work well on small data: https://www.smalldata-initiative.de/projects/c05/
This is a follow-up of our regularization cocktails for allowing MLPs to achieve SOTA on tabular data.
TabPFN is also in scope.

On top of working on exciting projects that also synergize with my ERC consolidator grant Deep Learning 2.0, Freiburg is a hugely attractive place to live , PhD students are well paid (100% TV-L E13, easily enough to cover the cost of living) and have 6 weeks of vacation, allowing for a good work/life. Please share widely with potentially interested candidates.

Best,
Frank