Invitation to the workshops UMLOP and MMMOO this Sunday (September 6) @PPSN

Pascal Kerschke

Sep 3, 2020, 5:54:27 PM9/3/20
to coseal
Dear all,

in addition to Carola's invitation for the Benchmarking@PPSN workshop (check her announcement from this morning), I would like to invite you to two further workshops that are taking place at PPSN and which address topics that fit into the scope of COSEAL.

Note that you don't have to be registered for PPSN in order to join the workshops. You can simply join via the following link: https://smart.newrow.com/#/room/yjs-609.
Please feel free to share this message with whoever may be interested in attending the workshop. However, please do NOT post the link on any website, twitter, etc., to avoid "zoom-bombing".

Below, I will give some more information on the workshops.

(1) "Understanding Machine Learning and Optimization Problems (UMLOP)" will take place on Sunday (September 6, 09:00 - 10:30, CEST). The core idea of this workshop is to provide a bridge between the evolutionary computation (EC) and machine learning (ML) communities and discuss topics that hopefully are of interest for both communities. Moreover, to ensure sufficient space for vivid discussions, all talks are scheduled for 10 minutes (+ 10 minutes discussion).
If you join our workshop, you can experience the following four spotlight talks:
  • Katherine Malan: Recent Developments in the Landscapes of Neural Networks
  • Marius Lindauer: Automated Deep Learning
  • Nacim Belkhir: Landscape of Real-World Black Box Problems: The Aeronautic Case
  • Gerard van Westen: Artificial Intelligence and Medicinal Chemistry -- Highlights, Challenges, and Opportunities
For further details on the workshop (including the exact schedule, abstracts of the talks, etc.), check out the workshop's website: http://erc.is/go/umlop2020.

(2) Following the UMLOP workshop (and the coffee break), we will continue with a workshop on "(Multimodal) Multi-Objective Optimization (MMMOO): Challenges, Characteristics, and Peculiarities" (Sunday, September 6, 11:00 - 15:00, CEST). As the title might suggest, the overall goal is to improve our understanding of multi-objective optimization problems by addressing this topic from a variety of perspectives: single- and multi-objective optimization, continuous and discrete optimization, ways to visualize such problems, new algorithmic approaches, etc.
Here, you can look forward to the following talks:
  • Marcus Gallagher: On the Challenges of Multimodal Single-Objective Optimization
  • Hisao Ishibuchi: Multi-Modal Multi-Objective Optimization
  • Estefania Yap: Instance Spaces in Continuous Multi-Objective Optimisation
  • Lennart Schäpermeier: A Dashboard for Visualizing Multi-Objective Landscapes: The Perspective Matters
  • lunch break
  • Gabriela Ochoa: Complex Networks in Search and Optimisation
  • Stef Maree: Uncrowded Hypervolume-Based Multi-Objective Optimization
  • Christian Grimme: Current Challenges and Research Potential of Multi-Objective Optimization
  • Panel Discussion (incl. Carlos Fonseca, Gabriela Ochoa and all workshop participants)
For further details on the workshop (including the exact schedule, abstracts of the talks, etc.), check out the workshop's website: http://erc.is/go/mmmoo2020.

We look forward to inspiring talks, vivid discussions, and hope to see many of you at the workshop!

Pascal Kerschke
(on behalf of all workshop organizers)