Call for papers: 7th ICML Workshop on Automated Machine Learning (AutoML 2020)

Frank Hutter

Mar 28, 2020, 1:06:27 PM3/28/20
to connect...@mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu, ml-...@googlegroups.com, u...@engr.orst.edu, c...@kdd.org, cos...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We're happy to announce the 7th ICML Workshop on Automated Machine Learning (AutoML), which will be held on July 17 or July 18, 2020, as part of the ICML conference (as a virtual event, like ICML).

Machine learning has achieved considerable successes in recent years, but this success often relies on human experts, who construct appropriate features, design learning architectures, set their hyperparameters, and develop new learning algorithms. Driven by the demand for off-the-shelf machine learning methods from an ever-growing community, the research area of AutoML targets the progressive automation of machine learning aiming to make effective methods available to everyone. Hence, the workshop targets a broad audience ranging from core machine learning researchers in different fields of ML connected to AutoML, such as neural architecture search, hyperparameter optimization, meta-learning, and learning to learn, to domain experts aiming to apply machine learning to new types of problems.

We invite submissions on the topics of:

  •     Model selection, hyper-parameter optimization, and model search
  •     Neural architecture search
  •     Meta-learning and transfer learning
  •     Bayesian optimization for AutoML
  •     Evolutionary algorithms for AutoML
  •     Multi-fidelity optimization
  •     Predictive models of performance
  •     Automatic feature extraction / construction
  •     Automatic data cleaning
  •     Automatic generation of workflows / workflow reuse
  •     Automatic problem "ingestion" (from raw data and miscellaneous formats)
  •     Automatic feature transformation to match algorithm requirements
  •     Automatic acquisition of new data (active learning, experimental design)
  •     Automatic report generation (providing insight on automatic data analysis)
  •     Automatic selection of evaluation metrics / validation procedures
  •     Automatic selection of algorithms under time/space/power constraints
  •     Automatic construction of fair and unbiased machine learning models
  •     Automation of semi-supervised and unsupervised machine learning
  •     Demos of existing AutoML systems
  •     Robustness of AutoML systems (w.r.t. Randomized algorithms, data, hardware etc.)
  •     Human-in-the-loop approaches for AutoML
  •     Learning to learn new algorithms and strategies
  •     Hyperparameter agnostic algorithms
Submission Format

We welcome submissions of up to 6 pages in JMLR Workshop and Proceedings format (plus 10 pages for references and appendix). All accepted papers will be presented as posters. We will invite the 2-3 best papers for an oral plenary presentation. We will provide PDFs of accepted papers on http://icml2020.automl.org/, but there will be no archival proceedings. For submission details please see the submission page.

Remark on COVID-19

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, ICML will be an entirely virtual conference this year (https://icml.cc/Conferences/2020/VirtualICML), and the AutoML workshop will follow suit. We are in contact with the ICML organizers about how this will pan out exactly and will inform you as soon as possible. We provide up-to-date information on http://icml2020.automl.org

Keynote Speakers
  •     Alex Smola (Director, Amazon Web Services)
  •     Mihaela van der Schaar (Professor of Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Medicine at the University of Cambridge)
  •     Neil Lawrence (DeepMind Professor of Machine Learning at the University of Cambridge and visiting Professor at the University of Sheffield)

Organization
    Katharina Eggensperger, Matthias Feurer, Frank Hutter, Marius Lindauer, and Joaquin Vanschoren and Charles Weill

    Location

    The 7th ICML workshop on AutoML will be co-located with the 37th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2020) and will take place on July 17th or 18th.

    Important Dates

    Deadline: April 23rd (Anywhere on earth)
    Notification: May 25th (Anywhere on earth)

    On behalf of the organizing committee,
    Frank Hutter

    Marius Lindauer

    Apr 16, 2020, 11:26:04 AM4/16/20
    to coseal
    Dear all,

    We would like to notify you that we extended the submission deadline for the AutoML workshop at ICML'20 by roughly a month because because as ICML being a virtual event, we do not need to budget time for visa applications.

    The new submission deadline will be May 20th and the author notification on June 17th.

    In addition, our submission page opened. For more details, see icml2020.automl.org