Fwd: Busted busted

Stephen E. Baker

Aug 16, 2016, 1:44:47 PM8/16/16
to corsix...@googlegroups.com, Edvin Linge
Busted, our unit testing framework is now failing, and causing our
Travis CI runs to fail due to a missing spec file.

Edvin added Busted to Travis back in December 2014 (merged in February
2015) with the expectation that contributors would also add test cases
as a form of test driven development.

That has never materialized and now there is some discussion on
#corsix-th whether it is worth the effort of maintaining Busted.

I'm hoping two things can come of writing here: first a decision on
whether or not we keep Busted, and secondly, if we do decide to continue
using Busted I would like an advocate who can maintain it and provide
support to developers for writing test cases, and reviewers in
determining if the provided tests are useful.

Phil Morrell

Nov 12, 2016, 7:00:49 AM11/12/16
to CorsixTH Development, edvin...@gmail.com
Hi, (apologies for dragging this thread back up, I am now subscribed to the mailing list)

The busted tests do pass (busted -C CorsixTH/Luatest/ --verbose) on upcoming Debian Stretch, with lua-busted 2.0~rc12-1, though presumably the available version in Travis is older.

That said, I did skim the tests currently in the repo and they're little more than a smoke-test i.e. check it's all hooked up correctly. So if it's not being used, it makes sense to remove from the repo - they'll still be in the git history if anyone wants to try TDD in the future.
--
Phil Morrell (emorrp1)

Stephen E. Baker

Nov 14, 2016, 8:25:55 AM11/14/16
to corsix...@googlegroups.com

On 2016-11-12 7:00 AM, Phil Morrell wrote:
> Hi, (apologies for dragging this thread back up, I am now subscribed
> to the mailing list)
>
> The busted tests do pass (busted -C CorsixTH/Luatest/ --verbose) on
> upcoming Debian Stretch, with lua-busted 2.0~rc12-1, though presumably
> the available version in Travis is older.
We don't use the version from Travis (if such a thing exists) we use the
luarocks version. That said the issue was temporary, upstream released a
new version of Busted a short time later that corrected our tests.
> That said, I did skim the tests currently in the repo and they're
> little more than a smoke-test i.e. check it's all hooked up correctly.
> So if it's not being used, it makes sense to remove from the repo -
> they'll still be in the git history if anyone wants to try TDD in the
> future.
The PR was written https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/pull/1122 and I
added a comment there that as long as it's working at no cost to us I
don't see a rush to remove it from the repo. If no one steps in to
maintain it and upstream changes something again that causes our builds
to fail we can merge that PR.
> --
> Phil Morrell (emorrp1)
>
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 6:44:47 PM UTC+1, Stephen E. Baker wrote:
>
> Busted, our unit testing framework is now failing, and causing our
> Travis CI runs to fail due to a missing spec file.
>
> Edvin added Busted to Travis back in December 2014 (merged in
> February
> 2015) with the expectation that contributors would also add test
> cases
> as a form of test driven development.
>
> That has never materialized and now there is some discussion on
> #corsix-th whether it is worth the effort of maintaining Busted.
>
> I'm hoping two things can come of writing here: first a decision on
> whether or not we keep Busted, and secondly, if we do decide to
> continue
> using Busted I would like an advocate who can maintain it and provide
> support to developers for writing test cases, and reviewers in
> determining if the provided tests are useful.

Phil Morrell

Nov 15, 2016, 4:53:16 AM11/15/16
to corsix...@googlegroups.com
On 14 November 2016 at 13:25, Stephen E. Baker
<baker.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> luarocks version. That said the issue was temporary, upstream released a new
> version of Busted a short time later that corrected our tests.

Ahh, so it's already been fixed for months, thanks for letting me know
and sorry again for resurrecting the thread.
--
Phil Morrell