Can't get files (Brown/CHILDES files) that QCLWR2 says to get

Jori Lindley

May 27, 2019, 4:01:49 PM5/27/19
to CorpLing with R
Looks like there isn't much activity here but I thought I'd try:

How can I get the relevant "files from the CHILDES archive" (the Brown corpus) that p. 22 of the book (2nd edition) instructs me to get?

I'm okay with being unable to get the three sets of files/data mentioned below that, on the same page (since they're used for "just one assignment each"), but it sounds like the Brown corpus and BNC are something readers should have as they work through the book. The book says to go to childes.psy.cmu.edu/data/Eng-NA-MOR/Brown.zip, but that link hasn't worked for a long time. I found what appears to be the equivalent at https://childes.talkbank.org/access/Eng-NA/, but the only way to get the files is to download them one at at time. I'm fine with doing that but, if I do, is there anything further that I'd need to do in order to use them successfully for the book exercises that involve them?

Thanks to whoever can help,

-Jori

Stefan Th. Gries

May 27, 2019, 4:19:56 PM5/27/19
to CorpLing with R
> How can I get the relevant "files from the CHILDES archive" (the Brown corpus) that p. 22 of the book (2nd edition) instructs me to get?
Seems like the access page has changed since the book, which of course happens. I just googled
childes brown
First hit: <https://childes.talkbank.org/access/Eng-NA/Brown.html>, from where I just downloaded the corpus.

Stefan Th. Gries

May 27, 2019, 4:22:10 PM5/27/19
to CorpLing with R
Plus, the Brown corpus from the ICAME CD-ROM is included in the downloadable materials.

Jori Lindley

May 27, 2019, 4:54:21 PM5/27/19
to corplin...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 4:22 PM Stefan Th. Gries <stg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Plus, the Brown corpus from the ICAME CD-ROM is included in the downloadable materials.

Jori Lindley
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of English & Linguistics
Purdue University Fort Wayne